'64 Starfire shifter conversion

Search this Thread

Old June 21st, 2017, 10:55 PM

'64 Starfire shifter conversion

I bought a 700R4 transmission from Ross Racing to swap into my '64 Starfire instead of the slim jim transmission. I've seen that Shiftworks has a shifter conversion kit to work with the Cutlass shift lever
(http://www.shiftworks.com/cutlas.htm). My question is, will this kit work with the Starfire shifter (which is for a 3-speed trans. vs. the Cutlass 2-speed trans.)? When I called them today, they didn't know. If their kit won't work with the Starfire shifter, does someone else make a kit that will?
Old June 22nd, 2017, 10:03 AM

For clarification: I can't seem to locate a parts diagram of the 3 speed shifter in the Starfire, but I've found one for the 2-speed shifter in the Cutlass. (The service manual doesn't have a parts diagram in it. It shows a good drawing of the Cutlass shifter, but not of the Starfire unit.) If the only difference is the detent plate, I would think the same kit would work (since it replaces the original detent plate with a 4-speed part). However, if there are other differences, this kit might not work. I like the idea of this conversion kit so I can keep the original appearance of my console and shifter, while still working properly with the overdrive transmission.
So, even if you don't know if the parts exchange, but you have a parts diagram for the original shifter, that would help.
When I get time I'll get my car out of storage and take apart the console to take pics and measurements. But I was hoping I could get parts ordered and have things ready to go in advance.
Old June 22nd, 2017, 03:12 PM
Oldsdruid

65-66 Starfires use the same console and shifter and came with Turbo 400s. Find a detent plate for one of those and you should be able to modify it for the 700 if needed.

You're on your own far as a shift quadrant plate goes. Find someone who can work Lucite or other clear plastic and have them make one, and engrave it for the 700 shift positions.

EDIT: Also grab the neutral start/ backup light switch from the 65-66 shifter. That'll get you in the ballpark for backup lamps.

Last edited by rocketraider; June 29th, 2017 at 08:25 AM.