Olds th400

Search this Thread

Old April 7th, 2016, 10:09 PM

Olds th400

I picked up 2 th400 transmissions yesterday for $100.
Will post a few pictures of tags, could anyone let me know what they are out of and years. Also, what motor they came with.
thanks
Old April 7th, 2016, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by CutlassRay
I picked up 2 th400 transmissions yesterday for $100.
Will post a few pictures of tags, could anyone let me know what they are out of and years. Also, what motor they came with.
thanks

Old April 7th, 2016, 10:37 PM
same but different

I think both came out of a Buick Rivirera.
first one 1971
second one 1967
Old April 8th, 2016, 08:11 AM

Curious

Any chance you bought these off the Vancouver Craigslist? I called on them when he had them advertised as a 1970 442 T400. When he sent me the tag info I told the seller that they were from a 1971 Riviera and a 1967 Riviera. I would be cautious believing that the 71 trans is rebuilt as the seller claimed. He also had no info on the converter for the 71 trans but claimed it was a 2500 stall. $100 is a good price for two cores.
Old April 8th, 2016, 08:49 AM

Thanks for the information regarding years and what they are out of. I'm learning more everyday about the Oldsmobiles.
I bought them for the cores and not for date correct vehicles. I have to decide what to do with the 67 toranado, cleaned all the racoon crap out of the car, got 95% still have to unbolt the seat and throw away. wanted a good th400 to bolt behind the 425. probably going to just keep the 425 and get rid of the car to someone for parts. not quite sure yet. if it wasnt for the racoons I would probably have kept it a good runner.
Old April 8th, 2016, 04:51 PM

Location etc

Thanks for the information regarding years and what they are out of. I'm learning more everyday about the Oldsmobiles.
I bought them for the cores and not for date correct vehicles. I have to decide what to do with the 67 toranado, cleaned all the racoon crap out of the car, got 95% still have to unbolt the seat and throw away. wanted a good th400 to bolt behind the 425. probably going to just keep the 425 and get rid of the car to someone for parts. not quite sure yet. if it wasnt for the racoons I would probably have kept it a good runner.
You do know that the Toro does not use a T400 right? Also those should be long tail shaft T400 not short shaft. Is that right?

Are you in Vancouver? Add your location to your profile.
Old April 9th, 2016, 08:07 AM

Dave, thanks for the reply, I added my location. Both 400's are short shaft. Was no intension on using for Toronado, was going to use on a 65 Cutlass behind the 425. do you think I will need to use new driveshaft and rework. Let me know what you think. Thanks
Old April 9th, 2016, 08:28 AM

Fyi

Dave, thanks for the reply, I added my location. Both 400's are short shaft. Was no intension on using for Toronado, was going to use on a 65 Cutlass behind the 425. do you think I will need to use new driveshaft and rework. Let me know what you think. Thanks
I was not aware that the Riv used the short shaft trans. My bad. I asked for pics of the trans but only got the info from the tags. You did very well on the transmissions at that price. The 71 model was supposed to be rebuilt but the seller was only going on what he was told and had no proof so perhaps take a look inside of it before you go to the trouble of instal.

You will need to relocate your trans cross member and shorten the driveshaft.

Last edited by oldsmobiledave; April 9th, 2016 at 08:32 AM.
Old April 9th, 2016, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by oldsmobiledave
I was not aware that the Riv used the short shaft trans. My bad. I asked for pics of the trans but only got the info fro
m the tags. You did very well on the transmissions at that price. The 71 model was supposed to be rebuilt but the seller was only going on what he was told and had no proof so perhaps take a look inside of it before you go to the trouble of instal.

You will need to relocate your trans cross member and shorten the driveshaft.
I attached the pics of 71 400, have to rob the small shaft housing from the 67, guess the guy I bought off got it from someone that was going to out a transfer case behind it. thats what he said. going to remove pan and check it out, looks like all new seal wher installed. the stalk looks clean also. who knows what happended over the years. where do I find out what the codes mean on the tags, in case I come across more 400 for sale. thanks.

Old April 9th, 2016, 11:27 AM
same but different

Those other numbers on the right of the tag are called calibration codes. Refers to internal settings and other things. For example, your trans from Riv's were calibrated differently than say a 400 in a BuickGS.

If you can find this book, you might find it helpful. It has trans codes but not a lot of detail on calibrations specifics. Find a good trans shop and work out your expectations with him, so he can build it right,regardless of core type. #ISBN 0-87938-267-8

Old April 9th, 2016, 11:53 AM

One important detail is that a '67 Buick TH400 might well be a Switch Pitch, and that changes a few things.

Shall we find out?
How many electrical terminals?
pics of the fat part of the input shaftage?
Old April 9th, 2016, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Octania
One important detail is that a '67 Buick TH400 might well be a Switch Pitch, and that changes a few things.

Shall we find out?
How many electrical terminals?
pics of the fat part of the input shaftage?
will send some pics of the 67
thanks everyone for the help.