Governor?

Search this Thread

Old September 19th, 2019 | 06:45 AM

Governor?

So I’ve got a leak in my transmission, and considering everything is mostly original still from 1980, I figure its time to start replacing parts. One of those parts is a governor, except it seems as if I can’t find them for a 350c transmission. Has anyone else had this issue, or would/does anyone know where I’d be able to find one? Any and all help is appreciated, thank you !
Old September 19th, 2019 | 01:23 PM

Is there any particular reason you want to replace the governor? If the trans is shifting at normal RPM / MPH, there's no reason to replace it.
Old September 19th, 2019 | 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Is there any particular reason you want to replace the governor? If the trans is shifting at normal RPM / MPH, there's no reason to replace it.

Im just going through the leaks and thought I saw a bit of fluid coming out round the governor cap/seal. It has a bit of a hesitation shifting from second to third sometimes, so I figure just replace it so I don't have to worry.
Old September 19th, 2019 | 07:08 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

The least favorable method of troubleshooting is blindly tossing parts at a problem before taking the correct root cause steps.
Inspect it before replacing it. You have to pull the cover to replace the seal anyway. The springs the weights the shaft and the bore will wear. It likely simply needs a new cover seal.

Is the exterior of the case clean so you can pinpoint leak sources?

How many miles on it and do you know the service history?

Your upshift hesitation can be several things not functioning properly. Some of which have nothing to do with the trans....Especially on a "transitional car" (end of analog early electronic mix).
If your rebuilding the trans go all the way through it to include the bearings.

Have you dropped the pan and serviced the filter?

Look for vacuum leaks. 80s have plenty of linear feet of vacuum line thats 40 years old.

Read the line pressures. That's the most accurate way of checking an analog transmissions health.