2002 Bravada 4.2 L transmission Problem

Search this Thread

Old July 28th, 2019, 02:27 PM

2002 Bravada 4.2 L transmission Problem

Thanks!! But now I found another problem, this truck has a possible bad transmission, after taking off the first tire to work on the brakes, I did find out that the truck didn't need any brakes or rotors. But there was a clanking sound from under the middle of the truck!! The friend that I was trying to help out with the brake problem was told by someone that she knows who works on cars, said that Problem is the brakes.
As you start to drive it in, "D" it seems fine, until you move about 20 feet, then you go to press down on the brake pedal, just alittle bit, and as the truck is slowing up, sometimes the truck would make this clanking sound and then the truck just stops! Take your foot off the brake pedal and try to give it gas, and nothing!! Then you have to put it in Reverse, then it goes back, then I tried to use the #3 for driving it forward and No Problems!!!??? 🤔
Any idea if this is a cheap fix or replace it!? It has a 4.2 L motor AWD, any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!
Old July 28th, 2019, 06:39 PM

I would check brakes, rear end and transfer case first. Jack it up and turn the drive shaft by hand and listen for clues. If you can eliminate all the stuff just mentioned, than it could be the trans. You can get a lot more info on these trucks on the GMT360 forum. I think that's the most active forum for these trucks. ~BOB
Old July 28th, 2019, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Carshinebob
I would check brakes, rear end and transfer case first. Jack it up and turn the drive shaft by hand and listen for clues. If you can eliminate all the stuff just mentioned, than it could be the trans. You can get a lot more info on these trucks on the GMT360 forum. I think that's the most active forum for these trucks. ~BOB
Hello, Thanks for replying! What doesn't make any sense is that I did check over the brakes and rotors and the front drive shafts and the center drive shaft going to the rear end 🤔 I would Think that if it was anything to do with the items that I just mentioned, I would not have been able to drive in any gear, But I was able to put it in to 3 on the column indicator and drive it about 3 miles with out it stopping me, and No Clanging sound! This truck has 175,000 miles on it and the owner is a women that has No clue on what it needs to keep it running!! She has never done anything to the engine!! Sure oil changes and put gas in it, but nothing else! And it runs like it!! I was wondering if the engine is running like crap, would that have anything to do with the transmission running like crap!? I ask this only because, normally when you put a automatic transmission into a drive Position, the engine would normally sound like it is slowing down some, Not this engine, it's running like it's on 4 cylinders not the inline 6 cylinders!!! Plus a friend of hers said that the transmission needed a full pint of oil!!!