1970 442 drive shaft lengths from the factory.

Search this Thread

Old December 4th, 2020, 03:55 AM

1970 442 drive shaft lengths from the factory.

So for customer I am restoring a 1970 442. The only thing that was left with this car was a frame and of course the body minus the front end. This car came with the original type o Oldsmobile 12 bolt and the short shaft turbo 400. It also came with the original water pump. Of course it's a 455 400 turbo car. Found a 1970 455 out of a Olds 98. So this comes down to what the question is. How many different drive shafts for the 400 turbo type o rear end were there? I'm having a drive shaft made because I was given two different drive shafts from a Cutlass Restoration place that stated should work. Of course both drive shafts were too long. So for this short shaft 400 to the type o rear end I came up with 54 3/8-in for the shaft itself. Of course I use the 400 turbo yoke and measured to the type o yoke. Another question is are there different transmission yokes used for the turbo 400? The two drive shafts that were supposed to have worked from a pretty reputable Cutlass rebuilder, and he pulled one of them out of supposedly identical car, or both too long. The shortest of the two drive shafts measured 56in shaft only no yolks. Of course all measurements are centered to center of u-joint. I just can't imagine how many different actual factory drive shafts were made for a 1970 442. All this has got me wondering because I can see that the first drive shaft that was given to me that he thought was factory definitely had the 350 yoke The second drive shaft had the 400 yoke. There has to be a factory drive shaft that marries these two together as the rear end and transmission are original to the car. Or let's put it this way it's definitely a type O rear end and it's definitely a BOP short shaft 400. If there could be a repository of knowledge for the different lengths of the drive shafts that would be awesome on actual lengths. I realize there's probably several different issues as in which yoke was used on either end of said car versus 8.5 8.2 or type o versus what other transmission combination is being adapted from the factory. This is knowledge that can really help out if it's not too much of a pain in the butt. To know exact length of factory drive shafts used in 1970 for all possible factory combinations.

Last edited by likethat; December 4th, 2020 at 04:01 AM.