Whining When Clutch is Engaged

Search this Thread

Old February 4th, 2014, 04:21 AM

Whining When Clutch is Engaged

So, I apologize if this has been asked before, I tried to search not only here, but also all over the web, and that lead to people saying two different things about what it would be. Mostly arguments over if the throwout bearing made noise with clutch engaged or disengaged, so here's me asking. I have a 66 F85 with a Richmond six speed in it, I just got the car a few weeks ago. Did a tune up and changed all of the fluids with high quality stuff (same that my friend I got it from had been using) AMSOil synthetics in the engine and trans, Lucas with posi additive in the rear end. The trans moves fine, and whatnot, but there is a whining sound any time the clutch is engaged (pedal is not pressed in) At idle, through the gears, etc. The only exception being is that occasionally it is quiet through 5th, and whines in 6th again. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old February 4th, 2014, 04:45 AM

The throwout bearing should not be contacting anything with pedal up if adjusted correctly. If it is not in contact with pressure plate then it should not be the cause of the noise. JMHO
Old February 4th, 2014, 04:45 AM

If the clutch fork is not adjusted correct the throwout bearing could be touching. Try putting light pressure while whine is accruing. If it changes thats where I would first look. Was this car bought in Canton, Ohio 4 or 5 months ago? Good luck, Ken
Old February 4th, 2014, 04:52 AM

OK, when you push the pedal (neutral) the throwout bearing starts turning, the trans is not. It sounds like things are quiet from your description. That rules out the throwout bearing. So it's only whining when the trans input shaft is turning.
The fact it's quiet in 5th (1:1 direct drive) indicates it's in the trans, maybe input shaft bearing or countershaft. That bearing and countershaft are heavily loaded in all gears except 5th. Time for a trans rebuild.
Old February 4th, 2014, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by Kennybill
If the clutch fork is not adjusted correct the throwout bearing could be touching. Try putting light pressure while whine is accruing. If it changes thats where I would first look. Was this car bought in Canton, Ohio 4 or 5 months ago? Good luck, Ken
Thanks, I shall check that before ripping into it too much. And no, I bought this car from a friend in Mountain Home, ID. His family bought it new if I remember correctly.

Originally Posted by garys 68&72
OK, when you push the pedal (neutral) the throwout bearing starts turning, the trans is not. It sounds like things are quiet from your description. That rules out the throwout bearing. So it's only whining when the trans input shaft is turning.
The fact it's quiet in 5th (1:1 direct drive) indicates it's in the trans, maybe input shaft bearing or countershaft. That bearing and countershaft are heavily loaded in all gears except 5th. Time for a trans rebuild.
Thank you for the information. When you say trans rebuild, I'm guessing that means I can't get away with just doing the bearings and whatnot as opposed to everything? Sorry, pretty new to rebuilding, but I catch on quick
Old February 4th, 2014, 06:18 AM

Depends, my opinion is once you take it out of the car and open the case, you might as well replace all bearings, seals, synchros. The parts are not that expensive, and it's a real PITA to have to remove it again.
How many miles on it and are you planning on rebuilding it yourself?

Originally Posted by F85_Inliner
Thanks, I shall check that before ripping into it too much. And no, I bought this car from a friend in Mountain Home, ID. His family bought it new if I remember correctly.

Thank you for the information. When you say trans rebuild, I'm guessing that means I can't get away with just doing the bearings and whatnot as opposed to everything? Sorry, pretty new to rebuilding, but I catch on quick
Old February 4th, 2014, 07:29 AM

Depends, my opinion is once you take it out of the car and open the case, you might as well replace all bearings, seals, synchros. The parts are not that expensive, and it's a real PITA to have to remove it again.
How many miles on it and are you planning on rebuilding it yourself?
OK, I'll make sure to snag them. I am unsure of the mileage on it, though I know it was pulled apart once for something (I forgot what my friend told me he had to replace) since it was originally put into the vehicle. And yes, I am planning on doing it myself.
Old February 4th, 2014, 09:04 AM

I've never done a Richmond 6 speed, but have rebuilt T10s and muncies. From the manual that came with my 6 speed, it looks pretty similar in design, so shouldn't be too bad.

Originally Posted by F85_Inliner
OK, I'll make sure to snag them. I am unsure of the mileage on it, though I know it was pulled apart once for something (I forgot what my friend told me he had to replace) since it was originally put into the vehicle. And yes, I am planning on doing it myself.
Old February 4th, 2014, 10:21 AM

I've never done a Richmond 6 speed, but have rebuilt T10s and muncies. From the manual that came with my 6 speed, it looks pretty similar in design, so shouldn't be too bad.
Yeah, from what I can see, I'll just need to take my time with it. Thanks again for the help
Old February 6th, 2014, 04:40 PM

Sounds to me like the transmission input shaft bearing is the culprit. You wont really know until you pull it and inspect it. I had the same issue on a 56 ****** jeep. It was pretty obvious once I put my hand on the input shaft and found out how much play there was in it. So, I rebuilt the tranny complete including synchros, and all was well. Also, make sure you look closely at the throw out bearing carrier for any cracks while your in there. Just my two cents.
Old February 6th, 2014, 06:34 PM
azure blue 442

If it is quiet in 5th, and fifth is one to one ratio, it would be the bearings inside the input shaft, or thrust/Torrington bearing between the input and cluster.
The cluster shaft turns at a different speed than the input shaft in all gears but 5th. This requires bearing rotation in all gears but 5th.
I assume 5th is locking input to cluster in the Richmond 6.

Good Luck.

By the way, if this is it, why......
pilot bearing worn? something else? Incorrect preload on main/cluster bearings?
Old February 6th, 2014, 06:48 PM

Question, stock bell housing or? Any aftermarket bell housing must be checked with regard to crankshaft centerline..to assure the input shaft runs true..
Checking the bell housing to crank is a PIA, but critical for a smooth running trans..