Transmission Vent Tube

Search this Thread

Old March 6th, 2016, 09:14 AM

Transmission Vent Tube

Hello;
We are working on a 61 88 hardtop with the original 394 and Hydra Matic. When we put the driveline back in the car we neglected to install the vent tube in the transmission first.

Does anyone have a picture, or know of a reference that shows where the tube goes on the trans, the shop manual doesn't show anything.

There is a thread for car on the Major Builds section.

Thanks in advance.
Old April 15th, 2016, 02:57 PM

Hi mate,

I've got a similar issue on my 63 with the same engine/ transmission and was wondering if you'd managed to connect it back in again.

I managed to find a photo on the internet a while ago that I've posted below that shows the pipe quite clearly. It is not my photo and I claim no credit.

The tube on my car has come out and much as I've tried to push mine back in, I can't get enough purchase on it to force it home, it might be an interference fit.

The pipe on my car goes from the transmission to a little pot shaped collector with another rubber pipe coming from it.

Would you or anyone else know if this pipe connects to anything or does it just vent to atmosphere? It's not connected to anything at the moment, just coiled up and tucked under the distributor wires.

Thanks very much,

Frank.
Attached Images
Old April 16th, 2016, 05:11 AM

Thanks for the photo. We ended up biting the bullet and dropped the trans so we could put the vent tube in. We did not see any other lines, rubber or otherwise. Good luck with yours.
Old April 16th, 2016, 06:59 AM

Many thanks for getting back to me and I'm glad you've got it sorted out mate. I'm hoping I can get mine back in without dropping the gearbox.

Could you tell me if the pipe connector goes in the transmission hole straight up or is it on an angle? It's hard to tell from the photo and it might just help me force mine in from below.

I'll just run the rubber pipe from the collector cup attached to the RH cylinder head down the side of the bellhousing in case anything drips out. I can't see anything it would connect to anyway.

Thanks again,

Frank.