Transmission ID Help

Search this Thread

Old January 16th, 2022, 03:47 PM

Transmission ID Help

So I picked up a 72 supreme project that calls for 350, 4bbl, dual exh. according to the VIN. Is there a way to tell if the manual trans was factory or aftermarket ??? Numbers on the block match the last 6 of the VIN so thats good so far... Bringing it home next week and will do some more diving into. Is there numbers on the trans that would match the VIN also ??? Thanks to all who reply as I have many questions going forward

Old January 16th, 2022, 04:46 PM

Yes, if it is an Olds Muncie, there will be a VIN derivative on the trans, similar to that on the engine block. On the trans, it should be in this location:

Old January 17th, 2022, 08:30 AM

Coming back around to this, I may have steered you wrong. The pic I posted above (post #2) is for a '68 Muncie in a 4-4-2. I've since seen some drawings that indicate the 1972 VIN derivative may be stamped on the right side of the case, toward the bottom. Apologies if I've misdirected you. Below is a '71, posted by Joe P.: I'm guessing '72 would be the same. Of course, all this is predicated on the trans being original to the car.

Old January 17th, 2022, 09:46 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by BackInTheGame
Coming back around to this, I may have steered you wrong. The pic I posted above (post #2) is for a '68 Muncie in a 4-4-2. I've since seen some drawings that indicate the 1972 VIN derivative may be stamped on the right side of the case, toward the bottom. Apologies if I've misdirected you. Below is a '71, posted by Joe P.: I'm guessing '72 would be the same. Of course, all this is predicated on the trans being original to the car.

^^^^This, but all this will tell you is if the transmission is original to the car. If the numbers match, then it's definitely a factory 4spd car. If not, you don't know if it was a conversion or if just the trans was replaced. Of course, once you pull the trans, if there's a conversion bearing in the crank as opposed to a factory pilot bearing, that's a pretty good indication that the car was converted from an AT. A good look at the floorpan where the shifter pokes through will also be telling. Does it have a correct factory hump spot welded to the pan? Again, not iron-clad proof, but a preponderance of evidence. Only a build sheet will tell you for sure.
Old January 17th, 2022, 10:33 AM

the original owner threw in a set of super 60 rims which he said rubbed the **** out of the rear wheel wells. He said they were off his cutlass S he used to have before buying a supreme, extra windshield, and gas tank.... I've heard to check there for a build sheet but the old tank has been removed.... There is a briggs and stratton bottle that looks to bypass the fuel tank. Its just sitting there in the passenger side core support with a line going to the fuel pump. Said thats how he drove it on the trailer to bring it home. Anywhere else to look for a build sheet on a olds from lansing , MI ??? Thanks to all this is SUPER informative. Going this weekend to trailer it home. More pics hopefully Sunday !!
Old January 17th, 2022, 10:45 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 72OLDS CS
. Anywhere else to look for a build sheet on a olds from lansing , MI ???
In the trash can at the end of the assembly line.

Unfortunately, as a rule Lansing did not leave build sheets in the car.