tranny dilemma

Search this Thread

Old October 14th, 2014, 06:35 AM

tranny dilemma

I'm restoring a 64 cutlass convertible with 330 engine, tranny 2-speed powerglide - auto/console shifter. Presently doing a engine/tranny swap using 350 from a "77" cutlass, tranny - TH 350 auto/tree shift.

This is a major project for me due to not being very mechanically inclined. My question is am I better off mating the powerglide tranny to the 350 to avoid multiple adaptations (new linkage assembly, needing a different length driveshaft, new tranny lines). I would like this project to be as easy as possible. Presently the 350 engine and tranny are on an engine hoist, and the powerglide tranny has been separated from the original 330. Thanks for your help! Ken
Old October 14th, 2014, 07:11 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by lass4ken
I'm restoring a 64 cutlass convertible with 330 engine, tranny 2-speed powerglide - auto/console shifter. Presently doing a engine/tranny swap using 350 from a "77" cutlass, tranny - TH 350 auto/tree shift.

This is a major project for me due to not being very mechanically inclined. My question is am I better off mating the powerglide tranny to the 350 to avoid multiple adaptations (new linkage assembly, needing a different length driveshaft, new tranny lines). I would like this project to be as easy as possible. Presently the 350 engine and tranny are on an engine hoist, and the powerglide tranny has been separated from the original 330. Thanks for your help! Ken
First of all, that's not a "Powerglide". It's a Super Turbine 300, called a Jetaway by Olds. Other than the fact that it has two speeds, it has NOTHING in common with a Powerglide.

Second, the TH350 is the same length as the Jetaway, and the 350 is externally identical to the 330, so this is a bolt-in swap. Your original driveshaft fits fine. The shift linkage also bolts to the TH350. The only issue is that depending on how it's adjusted, your shifter may not allow you to shift into first manually.

The only other issue is that you will need an aftermarket kickdown cable for the TH350, as the Jetaway uses an electric kickdown solenoid. Be aware that the aftermarket "universal" kickdown cable kits are only universal if you have a Chevy motor. Expect to do a little bracket fabrication to get it to fit your Olds. Alternately, find the cable and bracket from a mid-1970s Olds with a TH350 and use that. Also, you will likely need to change the speedo drive gear in the trans to get the speedo to read correctly.
Old October 14th, 2014, 07:48 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Unless your 330 is very tired, I would use it over Olds worst 350. It will have higher compression, way better heads and a better cam, I believe.
Old October 14th, 2014, 12:11 PM

tranny dilemma

Thanks for your replies. The original 330 needs a total rebuild which I cannot afford at this time. The "77" 350 was too good of a deal to pass up, and has only 43K on it. It will do until I can afford to have the 330 rebuilt (prefer to keep car original).

Is there an olds website to assist in finding correct size fastners? The mechanic working on my car lost the bolts for the center support to the frame, and bolts to hold the engine mounts to frame bracket. Thanks again for you help! Ken
Old October 14th, 2014, 12:22 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by lass4ken
Is there an olds website to assist in finding correct size fastners? The mechanic working on my car lost the bolts for the center support to the frame, and bolts to hold the engine mounts to frame bracket. Thanks again for you help! Ken
What are you calling the "center support"? Do you mean the trans crossmember?

In any case, it's a pretty simply matter to gauge the threads in the block (or hole diameter for the crossmember) and select bolts of the appropriate length and thread. I'd be a little concerned if your "mechanic" can't do this. Be sure to use grade 8 bolts for these applications. There is no website or reference that I'm aware of that lists bolt sizes. Even the factory parts book pretty much lists part numbers.
Old October 14th, 2014, 01:08 PM
Beer Connoisseur

I was thinking the same thing regarding the mechanic. If he can't replace the bolts how is he going to replace the transmission??
Old October 14th, 2014, 03:06 PM

Hell, I thought by the title you brought home a man in women's clothes.
Old October 15th, 2014, 06:10 AM

The mechanic was supposed to put in a 350 engine for me...never happened, and for unknown reason, he pulled the transmission and drivetrain. Also, he was replacing wiring harness but quit on that half way through...He stated "I got in over my head." He stopped working on the car (even though he was paid for work completed). After the car was sitting in his shop for 3 months going nowhere fast, I pulled it out of his shop. Now I'm trying to get things done on my own with assistance from a neighbor. Thanks for all your help! Ken
Old October 15th, 2014, 07:17 AM
Old(s) Fart

Well, start by getting a 1964 Chassis Service Manual. The 350/TH350 will bolt right in to the stock mounts. Use Anchor 2261 motor mounts.

You will need to swap the accessory brackets, water pump, and pulleys from the 330 to the 350. 1964 has some one-year-only items. The one you need to be most aware of is that 1964 used a water pump with the inlet on the driver's side. Every other Olds V8 water pump since then has the inlet on the passenger side. The 1964 water pump requires the use of the 1964-only timing tab, which is on the passenger side (again, different that on every other Olds V8 from 1965-1990). The balancer is also unique to the 64 motors since the scribe mark for TDC is in a different place to match the relocated timing tab. These changes will let you use the 1964 radiator, which also has inlet and outlet different from those on later cars. Bottom line, dress the 350 with the external parts from the 330 and it will drop right in.

Also, be aware that the 330 and 350 use different crankshaft flange bolt patterns, so use the flexplate that goes with the motor.
Old October 15th, 2014, 07:17 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Koda
Hell, I thought by the title you brought home a man in women's clothes.
Wow, it's Norm reincarnated...
Old October 15th, 2014, 03:27 PM

Joe, Thanks for you replies, you have been a big help. I was going to swap transmissions this evening. I'm assuming you want me to use flex plate from the 350. Thanks again!
Ken