th400 transmission modulator

Search this Thread

Old March 20th, 2016, 05:35 PM

th400 transmission modulator

Hi, I was wondering if someone can tell me if this is correct or not. The other day I was replacing my TH400 transmission's modulator (1970 442) and the tranny fluid started flowing out - I was not expecting this, maybe a little fluid but not what appears to be a lot of fluid from the transmission (3 containers filled). I searched and found some articles that stated when they took it off there was only a small amount of fluid that came out. When I look in my service manual I only found how to install it and no mention of removing it. What could be wrong or is it normal for it to flow out like that?
Old March 20th, 2016, 06:51 PM

Took another look at the service manual and I found the section on how to remove it but still no information whether the fluid should have been gushing out once I remove it.
Old March 20th, 2016, 06:59 PM
Administrator

There is nothing wrong. I always jack the car up on the passenger to tilt and keep a lot of that fluid in there. Just start the car and check the fluid level warmed and in park, add until full.
Old March 20th, 2016, 07:36 PM

Ok thank you.
Old March 21st, 2016, 09:00 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Yep she'll spill out a bunch of fluid unless you do what Eric recommends. Did you replace it with a Standard Motor Products part number TM50? The TM50 is adjustable unlike the OEM. Just an FYI.
Old March 22nd, 2016, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by tdhill01
Hi, I was wondering if someone can tell me if this is correct or not. The other day I was replacing my TH400 transmission's modulator (1970 442) and the tranny fluid started flowing out - I was not expecting this, maybe a little fluid but not what appears to be a lot of fluid from the transmission (3 containers filled). I searched and found some articles that stated when they took it off there was only a small amount of fluid that came out. When I look in my service manual I only found how to install it and no mention of removing it. What could be wrong or is it normal for it to flow out like that?
It's good that transmission fluid came out!

Kidding aside, why were you replacing the modulator?
Old March 22nd, 2016, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by HydraMatic
It's good that transmission fluid came out!

Kidding aside, why were you replacing the modulator?
I'm replacing the transmission cooler lines along with the modulator vacuum line and my tranny was not shifting properly so I figured why not while I'm under there that I also replace the modulator as it looks to be the original.
Old March 22nd, 2016, 08:55 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

If your still having shifting troubles come back here and explain the conditions in which your experiencing said troubles, Ill try to help. Condition examples: Problem occurs Warm or Cold, at what speed etc...Try to get the line pressures read. Pressures are how you diagnose a trans problem. Whens the last time the filter and fluid was serviced? What did you find in the pan? How many miles are on it? Is it a TH350 or TH400?
Old March 22nd, 2016, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by droldsmorland
If your still having shifting troubles come back here and explain the conditions in which your experiencing said troubles, Ill try to help. Condition examples: Problem occurs Warm or Cold, at what speed etc...Try to get the line pressures read. Pressures are how you diagnose a trans problem. Whens the last time the filter and fluid was serviced? What did you find in the pan? How many miles are on it? Is it a TH350 or TH400?

Thank you, I appreciate your help and everyone else's on here. Still buttoning things up and will report back later.