th350 kickdown cable

Search this Thread

Old February 3rd, 2009, 04:50 PM

th350 kickdown cable

Has anyone ever changed there kickdown cable, if so can someone walk me thru on how to change it. I purchased a stainless steel one but dont know how to change it. Any info will do.
Thanks Mark
Old February 4th, 2009, 08:26 PM

I'm not sure what year/model you have, but here is how the cable is removed on my 70 cutlass:

The kickdown cable goes from the front passenger side of the th350 directly to the gas pedal. It is held in the firewall with a plastic clip that snaps into the firewall from the engine compartment. In order to remove the clip you need to crawl under the dashboard and carefully squeeze the two catches on the clip until it can fit through the square hole which is cut in the firewall. While the two little catches of the clip are being squeezed push from inside the car towards the front of the car and the cable should pop out. This may take a good amount of pushing. The clip I am speaking of is actually part of the cable sheath.

In order to remove the cable itself from the gas pedal under the dash, a small piece of round black plastic needs to be removed from where the metal cable attaches to the pedal arm. On this piece of plastic there are similar but smaller catches like on the first clip. The plastic has been pushed into the gas pedal arm from the side facing you, the side closer to tha back of the car. In order to remove the plastic, carefully squeeze the catches on the back side of the gas pedal arm (the side facing away from you that is closer to the front of the car) and push the piece of plastic through the hole towards you and towards the back of the car. This also may take a good amount of pushing. Once the piece of plastic is out of the hole the thinnest part of the metal cable can be slid though a slot in the plastic which will remove the round piece of plastic altogether. Once the piece of plastic is completely removed the cable will easily slide through the hole left in the gas pedal arm and out of the square hole in the firewall.

On the th350 side of the cable, the end of the cable is held to the transmission with one small bolt which is parallel to the cable. The bolt shouldn't be stuck very much but it is difficult to get to. The transmission cooling lines and exhaust get in the way a lot. By using different combinations of crows feet or other types of wrenches you should be able to get it out. (I once took this bolt out of a wreck with four flat tires and without a jack but it took me a very long time). Once the bolt is removed, the cable can be pulled out of the transmission but only by about an inch or two. With the cable pulled out this far, the internal metal cable is now exposed and it can be seen that it has a hook on the end. On this hook is a small rod which is hooked by a small hole at the end of the rod. The other end of this rod goes into the transmission to an actuator. (this small rod will not be removed). Unhook the kickdown cable from this small rod and the entire kickdown cable will now be free.

I don't remember for sure but I believe the th350 side of the cable has a small O ring on it to seal the transmission from leaking fluid. Take care not to tear or loose the O ring. If transmission fluid is leaking from the cable spot on the th350 when you are all finished then you may need a new O ring/cable but I have never seen this happen personally. In order to install the new kickdown cable, just repeat the step listed above in reverse. hook the cable onto the small rod in the th350, push mentioned clips into their respective holes, etc. The whole process is pretty intuitive, all it really requires is that you don't get frustrated and start yanking on the cable.
Old February 6th, 2009, 09:34 AM

Smile Cable changed Finally

I followed exactly what you said and it was not hard at all to change out.
Thanks for your help. Mark