TH 350 valve body questions

Search this Thread

Old April 27th, 2012, 07:31 AM

TH 350 valve body questions

Started a new thread because my queries went unanswered. Guy at Monster Trans tells me this-
"To follow up,there are lots of misconceptions on “holding” gears. Most places and companies tell potential customers that an auto/manual valvebody will “hold” the gear. You can “hold” the gear with an auto/manual valvebody,however not for long because the “automatic” feature takes over and auto shifts you out of the “hold”. So the ONLY way to fully “hold” a gear is to go full manual valvebody and you will “have” to manually shift the entire time."
Yet I heard from one person here that they have shift kits that hold gears until they move the shifter. Looking for input on whether what Monster is telling me is correct.....Any benefits for s treet machine to have a full manual VB?
Thanks for the input and discussion.
Old April 27th, 2012, 07:42 AM
XCELERATIONRULES!

There are multiple upgrades for the Turbo 350 and turbo 400.
A shift kit usually involved removing a couple steel ***** and either deleting them or moving them around the valve body.
This makes the shift points quicker and crisper.
The factory settings are usually for a smooth quiet ride.
You can buy valve bodies to do whatever you want.
Want full manual control with no automatic up shifts...buy the valve body.
The Turbo 400 will withstand much more abuse than a Turbo 350,and I wouldn't spend $1000 rebuilding/upgrading one to heavy duty specs when I could have a Turbo 400 for the same cost.
If your on a budget and just want to improve your current transmission cheaply..buy a B&M shift kit.
Old April 27th, 2012, 08:03 AM
Chevy budget Olds powered

My trans has drive and and holds gear to 6000 rpm. I race my car at the track and i need first gear to hold to 6000 rpm. To me it sounds like they are up selling the valve body. Go to summit racing and look up shift kits for your app and the descriptions/directions most say you can keep drive and hold gear untill you desire. I know trans go and b&m both make this claim.