Speedo cable leak at trans

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2014, 01:06 PM

Speedo cable leak at trans

Hey guys,
I've been seeing a steady drip of fluid form the speedo connector housing since I got the car. I'm sure it's leaking. THis is what Napa gave me for a seal but it doesn't look correct.

[IMG][/IMG]

It looks to me like there is an o-ring up in there. Could that be the problem? Couldn't find anything in the CSM about a seal or o-ring.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old May 30th, 2014, 02:13 PM

Pull that retainer off and take out the whole speedo gear housing. I think it has O rings on it. The plastic gear can then be taken out and you can get a look from the other end as well.Im not sure of the NAPA seal but it may be correct for inside the housing. That is the end of the gear your seeing inside.
Old May 30th, 2014, 02:17 PM

I'm assuming it's a 350?

http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/...-00047338a.htm

Aha ... whacha got there is ... http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/...-00047264a.htm Speedometer housing inner seal with garter spring

Last edited by Professur; May 30th, 2014 at 02:20 PM.
Old May 30th, 2014, 03:31 PM

Thanks guys. Now how about the kickdown cable seal? That's leaking too. Is it the top-hat style seal or the flat o-ring/rubber washer? Anything tricky about getting that cable out of the trans? Yes Prof, it's a TH350. That's the seal I got from Napa for sure but the page says it's for a 2004R?
Looks like I'll be putting off the engine re-install for another week But a good opportunity to get the trans in shape. I hated the thought of bolting my purty motor to that greasy trans.
Old May 30th, 2014, 06:03 PM

Found this diagram in the CSM finally. I'll give it a go tomorrow.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old May 31st, 2014, 06:23 AM

Be aware that the speedo gear is plastic and the shaft can wear, also. They are cheap, but you can't tell unless you take it out and look at it.
Old May 31st, 2014, 06:38 AM

Thanks mrolds. I think that looks doable. But I'm making another post about the kickdown cable. This one really has me stuck.
Old May 31st, 2014, 06:48 AM
same but different

Macadoo, last I remember of that kickdown cable seal, its just a simple O-ring. I remember it costing me a whopping five cents.

It takes only a few minutes to check out. It just that one fastner like pictured. Sometimes getting the linkage back in its hole is tricky. I seem to remember it being spring loaded.
Old May 31st, 2014, 12:38 PM

Right, spring loaded...I think I did one a long time ago. I think you need like a helper with needlenose or Visegrip needle nose to hold it out while you detach it + change the seal. It's the trans tube that has either an oring or tophat type seal.
Old May 31st, 2014, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by don71
Macadoo, last I remember of that kickdown cable seal, its just a simple O-ring. I remember it costing me a whopping five cents.

It takes only a few minutes to check out. It just that one fastner like pictured. Sometimes getting the linkage back in its hole is tricky. I seem to remember it being spring loaded.
Originally Posted by mrolds69
Right, spring loaded...I think I did one a long time ago. I think you need like a helper with needlenose or Visegrip needle nose to hold it out while you detach it + change the seal. It's the trans tube that has either an oring or tophat type seal.
Thanks guys but I wish it were that simple. The cable was frozen in it's sheath and wouldn't allow access to the linkage. I tried everything with no luck. Finally I used logic and reasoned it out (I got p**sed off) and cut the bloody cable about ten inches above the trans input (it couldn't have been working anyway). The linkage fell right off and I was able to replace the O-ring. Yes, I sprung for the 31 cents
Now, what, $75 for the new cable. Anyone know a good place to look?