Slim Jim - again: Use a T5 trans fluid?

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2021, 05:14 AM

Slim Jim - again: Use a T5 trans fluid?

It is my understanding that the Slim Jim does not play well with modern ATFs. Not sure if that understanding is correct (from Wiki). I have two questions:
1. It was recommended to me by a so-called Olds expert to do this first before spending the money to repair/rebuild the transmission: Install filter and gasket. Pour in 1/2 quart of mineral oil. Fill remainder with a T5 trans fluid.
Anyone heard of this and would you recommend? (You probably already know this, but T5 is a "Non World Class" manual trans now TREMEC, according to my search.)
2. If you do recommend, what type of T5 tans fluid should be used? I have seen a wide range recommended from Amsoil, Royal Purple synchro, Mobil 1 ATF, and even an "A" type now supposedly only available at O'Reilly.

I am still able to drive the car, but, of course, its shifting is rough. I actually get better results manually shifting, especially from 2nd to 3rd.
Thanks for your input.
Old May 5th, 2021, 05:35 AM
Old(s) Fart

First, T5 transmissions came in both non-World Class and World Class versions. You might want to double check your research.
Second the recommended fluid to use in T5 transmissions is ATF, specifically Dextron III. That's what I've used in my Rotohydramatic 5 with no issues for the last 11 years.

The factory-recommended ATF for the RH5 is Type A fluid. That is long out of production. Dextron II was developed to be backwards compatible with Type A. Dextron III is intended to be backwards compatible with Dex II. Mercon is also intended to be equivalent to Dex II/III.

EDIT: Well, it appears that you CAN get Type A ATF. Who knew?

Old May 5th, 2021, 05:40 AM

Are you talking about the roto 5 automatic transmission in the 61-63 f-85 and Cutlass? I am assuming from your picture it is a 63? I used Dexron in mine and then my transmission guy told me that is find but he preferred that I take that out and use type F in it. I have been using type F now for 9 years with no problems.
Old May 5th, 2021, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
Are you talking about the roto 5 automatic transmission in the 61-63 f-85 and Cutlass? I am assuming from your picture it is a 63? I used Dexron in mine and then my transmission guy told me that is find but he preferred that I take that out and use type F in it. I have been using type F now for 9 years with no problems.
I am assuming that my '63 F-85 215 4bl came with the Roto 5. How can I tell if that is correct and not a Roto 10?
Old May 5th, 2021, 07:34 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Sandy Swede
I am assuming that my '63 F-85 215 4bl came with the Roto 5. How can I tell if that is correct and not a Roto 10?
The RH10 doesn't bolt to the 215.
Old May 5th, 2021, 08:05 AM

[QUOTE=joe_padavano;1339733]First, T5 transmissions came in both non-World Class and World Class versions. You might want to double check your research.

You are correct, Joe. I should have been more specific to include the World Class.
Old May 5th, 2021, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
First,

EDIT: Well, it appears that you CAN get Type A ATF. Who knew?

Thanks for that, Joe. I called ABRO - they do not sell domestically. On their website for the Type A, it references it being for mineral oil based applications. This makes sense of the recommendation I received to add 1/2 qt of mineral oil to a modern ATF when changing fluid in the RH5. I am checking out the Chalet brand to find out if it too, is mineral oil based.
Old May 5th, 2021, 12:55 PM

Found the Abro in....Nigeria, lol
Old May 5th, 2021, 01:07 PM

Was it a Nigerian prince?
Old May 5th, 2021, 01:13 PM
Old(s) Fart

WalMart claims to have the Chalet brand.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Chalet-Au...Pack/543985701
Old May 5th, 2021, 02:29 PM

A reseller on Amazon had two cases of 12 qts for $75 each. He now has one left. Although shipping is free, delivery is May 13 - 21st. I was able to buy the filter and gasket on ebay. I intend to post results after I complete the task.