ShiftWorks shifter install

Search this Thread

Old November 27th, 2011, 04:50 PM

ShiftWorks shifter install

I put the Shiftworks 2-4 speed shifter conversion in today. This is a pretty good kit and it fit fairly well and had really bad instructions.

The first picture shows the original shifter and what you get in the kit, the second picture shows what you have to remove from the shifter to make way for the new stuff.

The third picture shows the only modification you have to make, it is to bore a hole in the original mounting plate I used an 1 3/8" standard hole saw, I left about a 1/4" of the original slot, ( the instructions didn't tell where to drill) I used an old piece of aluminum I had, ViseGripped to the back to use as a guide for the hole saw, I found that the new cable hit the bottom of the new hole and didn't run straight so I rotored a small amount of material at the bottom and it worked perfect The forth picture shows the finished hole.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Picture 169.jpg (66.0 KB, 60 views)
Picture 171.jpg (70.0 KB, 61 views)
Picture 172.jpg (80.2 KB, 55 views)
Picture 174.jpg (63.7 KB, 56 views)
Old November 27th, 2011, 05:09 PM

The first picture here shows the new rubber gasket I built for the bottom, it's made out of 3/16" rubber, the kit comes with this little rubber seal that does absolutely nothing and the original rubber boot was rotten.
The second picture shows the finished shifter ready to install, I choose to rivet the cable adapter to the mounting plate instead of using the supplied screws, to get the measurements correct the cable adapter needed to have a small notch ground in the outside rear corner to clear the stock mounting plate, you also have to use a small washer under the front outside corner rivet as the cable adapter is flat and the stock mount is curved.
The third picture shows the linkage hook up on the bottom, the bottom fit perfect no problems at all.
The forth picture shows the shifter installed in the car I used a little silicone sealant on the slot in the rubber where the cable goes through.
After the install everything works perfect you can feel all the detentes in the transmission as you shift.
Last but not least don't forget to grease everything (the instructions forgot that) and take this opportunity to clean and service the neutral safety switch.
Attached Images
Picture 175.jpg (67.9 KB, 50 views)
Picture 176.jpg (80.4 KB, 52 views)
Picture 178.jpg (58.1 KB, 49 views)
Picture 177.jpg (58.0 KB, 51 views)
Old November 28th, 2011, 08:46 AM
Loose Radical

Very good to see you post this up. I have been thinking about this for a while. Sounds like you are happy now that you are done.

Are you putting a standard console over that?
How do you control the gears with the tabs broken off the top your shifter handle?
Old November 28th, 2011, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by slowolds
Very good to see you post this up. I have been thinking about this for a while. Sounds like you are happy now that you are done.

Are you putting a standard console over that?
How do you control the gears with the tabs broken off the top your shifter handle?
Nothing is broken I just removed the tee handle to get the console out. It's a real mickey mouse set, up hope I can get it back together.