Shifts hard

Search this Thread

Old February 6th, 2007, 09:04 PM

Question Shifts hard

New here. This is the third time I have tried to post after being logged in. I am told that I am not. So here goes #4.
92 Bravada Smart Trac, Vortex V6. We live a hundred miles from town an the first 60 are on unmaintained logging roads With a speed limit of 25 miles an hour. But the road is so bad that ya seldom see that till we hit the asphalt. The tranny shifts hard into gear and if ya don't have the brakes applied it will take of. She won't shift out of second until ya reach 30 MPH. or are going down hill. Than if she is under 30 she will go back to second. If it had a vacuum modulator that would be the problem. RPM's are fine. No high speed idle to make it slam into gear from park. I have a GM Code Scanner by Actron #CP9001 for domestic GM and Saturn. It works well on the engine. But today after inspecting the wire and plug connectors on the transmission. I tried the Saturn tranny code. Put in D2 and read the codes. Has only Saturn tranny codes and all I got was what seemed to be engine codes as none pertained to the tranny. I reset the computer by disconnecting the battery. And got the Code 12 for the engine saying that it was OK. Shifted to D2 and got code 11. book said this is the reader switching to tranny. The only code I got that was for the tranny was 29. But am not positive that I counted It right. Book said that 29 is as follows: 4th gear switch OR Quad-Driver modulator Quad-Driver No. 3 error OR Secondary air injection system-circuit problems Also got code 32 which is an EGR Fault and that is fine I believe and has nothing to do with the tranny in my old school head. The last tranny code was 85 and that is a locked brake. Which she don't have. As i am leaving for surgery in Anchorage in a few days and this is the school bus for the boy's and travels round trip 50 miles a day at speeds of 18 to 25. I need to know if there is anything I can do besides tack it to a local shop that has better diagnostic tools. Or let Momma drive it till I get back. And healed from neck and back surgery. How serious is this and are we doing damage by driving it? Please any input will be appreciated. Thanks and ASAP is important.
Old February 7th, 2007, 04:55 AM
Past Administrator

First, I want to welcome you to our site. You have in fact posted successfully, sometimes the registration verification process is a little dicey, glad you made it here.
Second, I surely wish I could help you on your tranny problem but I really have an old school mind (as you put it). There are a few tranny guys that frequent our board as I recall reading some posts about tranny questions where they refered to their experience and they were able to help out. I hope they see your post and reply. I cant remember their names but maybe a search would reveal some info. Try keywords TH400, TH350 etc...
Good luck with your tranny problem and heal up from surgery!
Old February 9th, 2007, 05:13 AM

Sounds to me like it is overfull of fluid. Have you serviced it recently?

I just went back to re read your post.... It NEVER gets over 25MPH!!!! THAT is a problem. It WANTS to shift, but the driving conditions won't allow it. When it finally reaches its shift points (when the stars a moon align) I am betting you are under load and the RPMs are higher than normal. That will cause it to feel like it is shifting hard.

In my opinion, you need a road trip. Wide open highway 50MPH or better. It like buying a granny grocery getter that only went 25MPH to the corner store and back. The drivetrain needs the cobwebs blown out of it.

Next thing you should get under there and look at the pan itself and see if it is dented. If it is, you hit something on that logging road. Depending on where you/if you dented it it could be blocking the filter pickup, and starving it of fluid. When it finally gets fluid it "slams" into gear.

Just some thougts.

John
Old February 9th, 2007, 06:08 AM

Pan looks good as dose the rest of the tranny. Getting fluid and filter kit today. The first 60 miles are slow logging roads. The last 40 is highway. 50+. once over thirty she seems fine. Could it just be a sticky shifting modulator? Looks like I will have to remove the fan and cross member to lower it enough to get it out. Is dexron 3 what I put in it and how many quarts without draining the converter. Leaving in about two hours for town. Thanks Guys