Shifter locking up

Search this Thread

Old December 12th, 2011, 12:01 PM

Shifter locking up

Hi Everyone my 67 4 speed shifter it getting stuck in 2 3 and hard to shift to 3rd sometimes I get under the car and use a wrench to get it out of gear, I wanted to know if I can get the shifter out from under car with out droping the tranny its a 67 4 speed hurst close ratio M21 any Ideas Thank.s Steve You Guys and Girls have a merry
xmas
Old December 12th, 2011, 12:36 PM

The shifter can come out with trans in....easier if crossmember is slid over some or removed. The problem you are having could be the shifter or the trans as well. It could be as simple as spraying the mechanism with lube or making sure the correct gear oil is in the trans.
Old December 12th, 2011, 01:11 PM

It's just WAAAAY out of adjustment, or the plastic bushings broke, and fell out!
I never liked the plastic [nylon] and always replaced them with steel bushings.
DO NOT PULL-OUT THE LINKAGE!!!
There's a hole from the side of the linkage that accepts a 1/4" drill bit, backwards.
Put the transmission in neutral!
With NEW bushings, adjust the threaded arms so they'll slide in, smoothly, and install lock springs.
Remove drill bit.
With someone in the car, have them put it in first - take the 'slop' out by turning in the rear bolt on the rear of the linkage, and re-tighten the lock nut.
Do the same for second, etc.
Might find directions, with pictures on the Hurst websight, and order the bushings from Jegs or others - overnight would be best!!
Old December 12th, 2011, 01:37 PM

X2 on the shifter. I have an original comp plus & mine does it occasionally too. Eventually I'll get mine rebuilt but I can't seem to get the shifting lever out as it's rusted in & I can't get a feeler gauge in there. Most places require that you remove the lever.
Old December 12th, 2011, 03:00 PM

Tranny

It has new metal bushings maybe Ill try oiling it, will white silcone do alright The oil is new it does whine sometime most of the time but Is that normal?

Last edited by sammieolds; December 12th, 2011 at 03:04 PM. Reason: adding
Old December 12th, 2011, 03:50 PM

Just do the adjustment - it'll work like new!!

I've never seen one that needed rebuilding!!!
Old December 16th, 2011, 11:13 AM

tranny

Did the adjustment w/another guy no better the 3 4 th shifter arm on the shifter has a lot of play in it Do they make a rebuilt kit It A hurst comp plus shifter Any Ideas Thanks Steve
Old December 16th, 2011, 11:35 AM

If there's a lot of play - have you bushings on both ends of the rod?
If you do, and the play is on the trans arm, the fork inside the trans is worn out.
The only way it's in the shifter, is if it's sloppy on 1-2 also.
Whichever, I've seen Hurst linkage on C/L for as cheap as $50.
Old December 17th, 2011, 03:34 AM

Sometimes the round selector that is within the shifter housing gets worn and it will slip in between the selector plates and will leave you in second gear, but the stick will be in third...probably needs a rebuild. If you have been driving it a long time, you have probably been shifting improperly and not letting the pre-load spring do it's job...if you push too hard to the side to get third gear it will wear the insides...
Old December 26th, 2011, 10:33 AM

Hello merry christmas/happy holidays to all!
I too have a question about my reverse light, I have a 71 cutlass S, just replaces my bench with 2 buckets and new floor shifter column along with a hurst v matic 2 floor shifter. My mechanics could not get the reverse light to work? I am guessing I could just cut the reverse wire from the column and connect it to the hurst shifter? Any ideas? Also the drive shaft is hitting the shifter bolts when making a left turn under load or when I have 1 or more passengers in the car? I am assuming that either the shifter mounting bolts are too long and or tranny and or motor mounts need replacing? Any advice appreciates? I should have done the job myself as usual?
Old December 27th, 2011, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by sammieolds
Did the adjustment w/another guy no better the 3 4 th shifter arm on the shifter has a lot of play in it Do they make a rebuilt kit It A hurst comp plus shifter Any Ideas Thanks Steve
If the bushings are good, g-clips in good shape., everything is tight and adjusted properly then by process of elimination it must be the shifter.

Hurst shifters are not hard to rebuild. One of the biggest culprits that causes problems is old caked and dried grease. Allot of people load these with grease which attracts dirt. Many of the ones I've taken apart to rebuild aren't badly worn just plain filthy.

Brewers Performance sells a complete rebuilt kit for $100.00. Hurst has a rebuild program. If you do it yourself and need help give me a holler.
Old December 27th, 2011, 08:07 AM

Thanks teammunci,

The shifter is an after market retro-fit Hurst V matic 2. We installed it in the indent on the tranny hump. I originally had a column shifter. I will check the mounts and bolts myself. But what are G clips?
Old December 27th, 2011, 09:25 AM

Talking

Originally Posted by pistonpop
Thanks teammunci,

The shifter is an after market retro-fit Hurst V matic 2. We installed it in the indent on the tranny hump. I originally had a column shifter. I will check the mounts and bolts myself. But what are G clips?

was assuming this was a comp plus shifter.. ooops!! Now the V matic is a Automatic shifter by Hurst. Do you mean a V-gate shifter? I'm not sure who works on those if it is.

G clip's (or Jesus clip's as they are commonly known...) are the clips that hold the rods to the levers and the shifter.
Old December 27th, 2011, 09:57 AM

was assuming this was a comp plus shifter.. ooops!! Now the V matic is a Automatic shifter by Hurst. Do you mean a V-gate shifter? I'm not sure who works on those if it is.
Sammieolds was original poster w/manual trans issue.
Old December 27th, 2011, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Sammieolds was original poster w/manual trans issue.

Man I'd say I was having a bad hair day if i had any. Need to learn to read i guess. Sorry.