Pan gasket

Search this Thread

Old October 18th, 2019, 10:31 AM

Pan gasket

Hi all
so I need to replace my leaky pan gasket, am I crazy to leave the filter or should I swap it? The reason I ask is the transmission shifts great, car has 114k on it and I’m not sure if a rebuild has been done and when I did A trans fluid and filter on my 120k newer pickup the trans never shifted right and I had to add a ton of “grit” to get it working
also about how many quarts will I need, I know 10 when it’s dry
Old October 19th, 2019, 05:52 PM

Change the filter. I really believe the rumor of not changing the fluid on a high mileage transmission is a bunch of crap. Most people never change the fluid/filter until there is a problem. Once the problem becomes serious, of course they blame the new fluid “loosening” things up.

A filter/fluid change is maintenance, not a fix. If a transmission is slipping, new fluid isn’t going to help.
Old October 19th, 2019, 06:22 PM
Justin

Change the filter, with the amount of fluid that is changed with a filter replacement no need to worry, I have see high mileage cars come into the shop and do a machine hook up trans flush, witch can cause some issues as transmission fluid is a cleaner, when you flush the system and you wash out worn o-rings and built up grime inside where tolerances sensitive have been coated with grime you tend to creat issues,
Old October 20th, 2019, 07:12 PM

Change the filter, it shouldn’t hurt anything. If car is not a show gem put a drain plug in the pan in case you have it long enough for the next change or intend to do a “rolling” fluid change, ie successive changes to get most of the old fluid out. Drain plug makes it like an engine oil change instead of risking the atf sunami.
Old October 20th, 2019, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by bccan
instead of risking the atf sunami.
Yeah, unless you enjoy a transmission fluid hair wash, then showering with Go Jo (done that too many times), install a drain plug in the pan.
Old October 21st, 2019, 03:53 AM

My favorite way to drain fluid with zero mess is to drill a hole in the pan, and install a drain plug after the pan is off. Drill the hole in the front of the pan, about 2 inches in from the drivers side corner of the pan. Some 350 pan had a factory drain plug, I think GM kept the stamped flat spot where the plug would have gone had it been equipped.
Old October 21st, 2019, 04:17 AM

I swapped the filter and luckily my pan has a factory drain plug in it so no worries there just need to order speedo housing because mine was also leaking pretty bad should have it back up and running this week I’ll keep you posted