Okay, I have another transmission question

Search this Thread

Old April 19th, 2016, 12:13 PM

Okay, I have another transmission question

I went down to my body shop and was told they needed another two weeks before they could take my car in so I decided to redo my brakes since I was leaking brake fluid. After jacking up the front of the car and taking out the old brake booster I laid down under the car to take a look at the distribution block on my frame and I see the shift rod dangling and only connected to the steering column. I took a couple of pictures and would like to know if someone can tell me what is going on here and what do I need to reconnect/take off. BTW, my 70 442 coupe has a console with dual gate shift. It was not shifting well so I replaced the modulator and vacuum line (which was/seemed clogged) - I never got the chance to test it out other than moving the car in and out of the garage.

As always, thank you.

Tom

Last edited by tdhill01; January 13th, 2018 at 05:30 PM.
Old April 19th, 2016, 12:49 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by tdhill01
I went down to my body shop and was told they needed another two weeks before they could take my car in so I decided to redo my brakes since I was leaking brake fluid. After jacking up the front of the car and taking out the old brake booster I laid down under the car to take a look at the distribution block on my frame and I see the shift rod dangling and only connected to the steering column. I took a couple of pictures and would like to know if someone can tell me what is going on here and what do I need to reconnect/take off. BTW, my 70 442 coupe has a console with dual gate shift. It was not shifting well so I replaced the modulator and vacuum line (which was/seemed clogged) - I never got the chance to test it out other than moving the car in and out of the garage.

As always, thank you.

Tom
It looks like whoever did the floor shift conversion chose not to connect the backdrive linkage. I assume your backup lights and NSS don't work, either.
Old April 19th, 2016, 01:35 PM

I bought it as a project Joe and knew I had to go over everything - a few surprises here and there but it's still early in my process. Never bothered to check the backup lights and I did not check to see if the nss is working or not - I have only started the car in both park and neutral. On my service manual on section 7-26 it shows the rod adjustment for a column shift and on 7-27 a shift cable adjustment if console equipped. Do I need to find a spring washer, screw and clamp for my shift rod? If so, do you know of anything else that I am not seeing?
Old April 19th, 2016, 01:38 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by tdhill01
Do I need to find a spring washer, screw and clamp for my shift rod? If so, do you know of anything else that I am not seeing?
It looks like those are the only parts missing. Fortunately, they are the same on every column-shifted AT car also.