Manual bell housing preference

Search this Thread

Old September 17th, 2024, 08:30 PM

Manual bell housing preference

So I completed a manual Tremec TKO transmission conversion from an auto TH350 in an ‘82 Regal 25 years ago. When I did it, I sourced a steel scatter shield bell housing with a young man’s mind and a concern of suffering the same fate as Don Garlits (because of course I would be turning the same RPM’s at an earth shattering 5500!) 😳. I am now in the process of collecting the pieces to convert my ‘70 Cutlass wagon with a 455/th400,3:42 anti-spin to a Tremec TKX manual. My first thought was to invest into another sfi rated bell house, but my practical sense has advised me that a factory aluminum bell housing would be just fine…. Please share your valid experiences and thoughts. I have no intention of “cheaping out”, but also don’t want to unnecessarily spend money that could be used more efficiently for other areas.. Thanks so much for sharing your experiences.
Old September 18th, 2024, 08:04 AM
Stuck in the 80's

I think its a fair question.
Variables that would sway one way or another would be;
Street tires or ever a chance of slicks on a track?
Quality of clutch, specifically the engagement surface material.
Flywheel stock or ?

Street tires with quality clutch and sound flywheel and my opinion is your ok.
I am pretty hard on clutches and in the past would send them back for rebuild every year or two. There was never an indication one was ready to come apart. They would replace the surface from warping or change springs but that because it was slipping and building heat.

Old September 18th, 2024, 08:39 AM

I am using a factory flywheel, it is in good shape and never been faced. It is currently getting faced but won’t loose much thickness. I haven’t gotten to the clutch decision yet. The last time I used a Centerforce dual friction 11”, which worked great, but man was it ever a short-on/off pedal. My wife nearly put the car into the back of an F350 dually not realizing how sensitive it was.
Old September 18th, 2024, 02:15 PM

I installed the Quick Time bellhousing years ago along with a Centerforce II clutch assembly using the original Zbar, no issues.
Old September 18th, 2024, 02:31 PM

You could always put a blanket around it. Very cost effective and will offer good protection.
Old September 18th, 2024, 02:38 PM

Your feet have been discontinued, so protect them. Quick Time is very well made and ends up about 15 lb lighter than the old-school Lakewood with block plate.
Old September 18th, 2024, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Funkwagon455
So I completed a manual Tremec TKO transmission conversion from an auto TH350 in an ‘82 Regal 25 years ago. When I did it, I sourced a steel scatter shield bell housing with a young man’s mind and a concern of suffering the same fate as Don Garlits (because of course I would be turning the same RPM’s at an earth shattering 5500!) 😳. I am now in the process of collecting the pieces to convert my ‘70 Cutlass wagon with a 455/th400,3:42 anti-spin to a Tremec TKX manual. My first thought was to invest into another sfi rated bell house, but my practical sense has advised me that a factory aluminum bell housing would be just fine…. Please share your valid experiences and thoughts. I have no intention of “cheaping out”, but also don’t want to unnecessarily spend money that could be used more efficiently for other areas.. Thanks so much for sharing your experiences.
Standard aluminum bellhousing for my latest restored 560+ hp beast with the Tremec TKX. Runs amazing. No regrets with that choice. 4.10 rear end gears.
Old September 18th, 2024, 06:44 PM

Funk, how stout is the mill? If it's standard performance or slightly warmed up, I would think stock is ok.
Old September 18th, 2024, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
Funk, how stout is the mill? If it's standard performance or slightly warmed up, I would think stock is ok.
Fairly standard build, iron E heads, W intake, warm cam, WZ manifolds on radial street tires.
Thank you for your input.
Old September 18th, 2024, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by 66_Jetstar
You could always put a blanket around it. Very cost effective and will offer good protection.
Probably true, but I’d sooner drop the dollars on a Quick Time before cluttering/complicating the appearance. Thank you!😊
Old September 19th, 2024, 08:22 AM

from the Rund car scrapbook

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
rund clutch.pdf (548.2 KB, 11 views)
Old September 19th, 2024, 10:18 AM
Stuck in the 80's

If its never on sticky tires, chances of real clutch explosion very low with good clutch.
Old September 19th, 2024, 10:54 AM
Gary

Heath,

I did my manual conversion 20 years ago, and this was my thought process and conclusion...

The greatest stress on the clutch/pressure plate in a street car is not rpm but the shock load when starting abruptly. The maximum shock load comes not from the power of the engine, but from the stored rotational energy in the engine when it slows rapidly after applying torque to the tires. And a long-stroke Olds 455 has a lot of stored energy.

The shock load is less when the torque multiplication between engine and tires is greater. For example, my 4.10 rear ratio times my 2.66 first gear ratio is 10.90. This ratio is favorable for lowering shock load.

The shock load also varies with tire stickiness, diameter, and tread width. I have 28" tall street tire tires with 8.9" tread width. Those numbers are on the high side for street tires, so this would add to shock load.

I chose a Centerforce dual-friction clutch, which is not very aggressive. This would lessen the shock load.

Wagons have higher rear weight. I have 2280 pounds on the rear tires, which is huge for an A body. This increases potential shock load considerably.

Your 2.87 (?) first gear times 3.42 axle is 9.82, which is decently high.

Evaluate your tires and the weight over your axle. Subjectively compare the relative shock load from all of this to what an average 442 had in the day.

When I did this, I decided to use the (admittedly massive) Lakewood SFI bellhousing with the intermediate plate. Today I'd definitely choose QuickTime for the weight savings.

When I first drove the car, I applied the clutch at about 1200 rpm from a standing start and gave it full accelerator. It didn't spin, but shot out of the hole. It felt like a 12-second car in first gear. I definitely had traction that would generate more stress on the clutch/pressure plate. So, I was happy with my choice.

Keep us informed.

Gary
Old Today, 07:21 AM

I sourced a 2/05 dated SFI Lakewood unit yesterday after work locally. Yes, it weighs 16 lbs more than the Quick Time, but $225 seemed more reasonable than nearly $1000. Naturally I’ll be applying a less obnoxious color to it. I’m not convinced that it is absolutely necessary with my application and driving habits, but it’s moot at this point. Thanks for the feedback and suggestions.👍😀
Old Today, 07:56 AM

Good buy for 225. Did it come with the block plate?
Old Today, 08:02 AM

Good buy for 225. Did it come with the block plate?
No, but I’ve already calculated the correct gauge of steel and will fabricate it easy enough. I’ll post photos when I’m finished.
Old Today, 08:13 AM

Yes it's easy enough to make. Depending on you're HP/ET goals you might consider using aluminum instead of steel. Either way thats a lot of holes to drill!
Old Today, 08:15 AM
Gary

...I’ll be applying a less obnoxious color to it.
Exactly.
I painted mine engine color so that anyone looking under the car wasn't obnoxified.
Old Today, 08:48 AM

Yes it's easy enough to make. Depending on you're HP/ET goals you might consider using aluminum instead of steel. Either way thats a lot of holes to drill!
I had not thought of this option… A considerable weight savings.
Old Today, 08:52 AM

Be sure to dial it in, I used offset dowels, and rigged a magnetic base for my indicator.
Great purchase.
Old Today, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by dc2x4drvr
Be sure to dial it in, I used offset dowels, and rigged a magnetic base for my indicator.
Great purchase.
Yeah, I certainly remember this procedure from my first time. Not really all too hard. I actually purchased a magnetic base for this purpose on the first go. I suppose I’ll be using it again for this application.😀. I still have paper photos of the first time with handwritten measurements on masking tape.
Old Today, 09:00 AM

Either way thats a lot of holes to drill![/QUOTE]

What a great excuse for purchasing a set of transfer punches!!😂
Old Today, 12:09 PM

I had not thought of this option… A considerable weight savings.
The block saver I always thought was a gimic. Realistically if the flywheel fails and somehow goes forward the block and crank would never survive. Plus the aluminum will be much easier to work with.