maaaaan

Search this Thread

Old March 18th, 2016, 10:38 AM

maaaaan

So I just got my car back today. Rebuilt transmission. I drove it for about 20 minutes. Put ithe in park and back in drive. There is a clunk noise when I put it in drive. I checked the trans fluid. It's good. What could be the problem? Thanks, you guys are always helping me!
Old March 18th, 2016, 10:51 AM
same but different

Have you crawled under neath yet to check the drive shaft and u bolts are good and tight. How about those converter bolts, tight also?

Can you duplicate this same sound on an incline facing both up and down?
Old March 18th, 2016, 11:08 AM
Chevy budget Olds powered

If all that checks out you need to know how the trans was built. If the wave plate in the forward drum if will have harsh forward engagement.

I have a similar issue with an older th350 of mysterious back ground thats in my dads car. I found that if its put in reverse and drive many times like parallel parking it will bang hard but if you are driving back it up and then put it in park no problem. I did have a shop replace all internal seals so i dont know if they left out the wave plate when they are assembled it.
Old March 18th, 2016, 11:35 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Year of car, make of car, model of trans...etc...Why was it rebuilt? What was replaced? Stock or higher stall converter? Stock rebuild or performance build with a shift improver kit installed?????...etc...
Yes you need to inspect the Ujoints and converter bolts before you put the key back into the ignition. If either are found lose go back to installer with the "red ***"!
Old March 18th, 2016, 11:54 AM
Administrator

Check the ujoints and call the guy who rebuilt it is my suggestion.
Old March 18th, 2016, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by don71
Have you crawled under neath yet to check the drive shaft and u bolts are good and tight. How about those converter bolts, tight also?

Can you duplicate this same sound on an incline facing both up and down?
I just got under and there is a transmission fluid leak. It's hard to explain the location of the leak but it's like right under all the belts. 1985 Delta 88
Old March 18th, 2016, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Check the ujoints and call the guy who rebuilt it is my suggestion.
I just got under and there is a transmission fluid leak. It's hard to explain the location of the leak but it's like right under all the belts. 1985 Delta 88
Old March 18th, 2016, 01:17 PM
Administrator

Check the trans cooler lines to the radiator.
Old March 18th, 2016, 01:19 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by WB8588
I assume you mean near the front of the engine? Could this be on the passenger side? Assuming this really is red trans fluid, it's likely a loose connection from the cooling lines to the radiator. The lower flare nut is an absolute pain to tighten on these cars, and if it leaks, fluid runs down the lower radiator hose and can drip who knows where under the front of the car.
Old March 18th, 2016, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I assume you mean near the front of the engine? Could this be on the passenger side? Assuming this really is red trans fluid, it's likely a loose connection from the cooling lines to the radiator. The lower flare nut is an absolute pain to tighten on these cars, and if it leaks, fluid runs down the lower radiator hose and can drip who knows where under the front of the car.
Yeah it's the front of the engine and it's red trans fluid. What you are saying sounds like it could be it. I added a little more trans fluid and the clunk sound is not so loud anymore. But the dip stick for the trans fluid says it's full.

Last edited by Copper Nine Eight; March 18th, 2016 at 02:02 PM.
Old March 18th, 2016, 02:48 PM
Administrator

The fluid needs to be checked with the engine running, warmed up, and in Park. You'll be surprised a lot of folks don't know this.
Old March 18th, 2016, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
The fluid needs to be checked with the engine running, warmed up, and in Park. You'll be surprised a lot of folks don't know this.
Guilty... Such an idiot