M-20 trans leaking.

Search this Thread

Old September 3rd, 2015, 05:28 AM

M-20 trans leaking.

I have found a dreaded trans leak from the front of my M-20..Googling issues with the Muncie trans people are sharing the cluster shaft is usually the culprit. The leak occurs between the case and the shaft itself. Some folks have gotten pretty creative with temporary band aids others say there are two fixes for this issue. One is to dismantle the case and have a machine shop enlarge the hole and machine a sleeve for the shaft for the original case. Others say to just purchase what is called a super case from company called Autogear, they provide a thicker more durable case. With the thicker case replacement parts are available like different bearing sizes. I'd rather try to keep my original trans though. Has anyone ran into this issue?
Old September 3rd, 2015, 07:09 AM

Literally just picked up my W30 yesterday form having it rebuilt. I took it in because the countershaft hole had started leaking.

I decided that it was more important to me to be able to enjoy the car than to spend the time and cost (and risk shipping the numbers case all over creation). There are only a few places that can make that repair. It's a tapered hole that has to be pretty much perfect. I bought the Auto Gear Surpercase. I'll put the oringal in box for the guy that gets the car when I die......

That thing is a tank and has a seal in the end of the countershaft hole. The guy at the shop said the thing is way better than the original casting.

Just be prepared to find out your internals need other work as well once Pandoras box is opened. Mine turned into a $1,500.00 rebuild.

If you are still trying to squeeze judging points out of your car, go get the original case sleeved. If you're like me and just want to drive your car without worrying, that Supercase is a big improvement and you can get them with bearings for under $300.00. Even has SAE o-ring ports for fill and drain.
Old September 3rd, 2015, 02:08 PM

Thank You for sharing this information with me. My car will never be a points car or anything other than a weekend driver, but still was looking for some kind of an idea from CO members to see what was involved. I have so far been leaning towards the Super Case and looking forward to not have any issues with the trans again..or for at least awhile anyways.
Thank you for the response.
Sean
Old March 6th, 2016, 07:52 PM

Follow up with my trans leak..I purchased a step by step inspect and repair Muncie guide for transmissions. Last week I pulled the trans and decided to pull it apart and inspect it for rebuild. I noticed its leaking from the front imput shaft rather than the countershaft so I won't have to machine or replace the case which is in great shape. Most of the parts and gears appear to be ok except for the reverse gears which need to be replaced and maybe shift forks with common rebuild kit. Does anyone know of a reputable company to order these parts for a M-20 trans that stands behind there parts and shipping? If anyone can help I would appreciate it.
Thanks
Sean
Old March 7th, 2016, 10:12 AM
72 Olds CS

Auto gear has a nice www w parts for Muncie as well as their trans I never purchase from them but have visited the www

http://www.autogear.net/motorsports/
Old March 7th, 2016, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
Auto gear has a nice www w parts for Muncie as well as their trans I never purchase from them but have visited the www

http://www.autogear.net/motorsports/
Thanks for this, checking it out now. 😊

Sean
Old March 17th, 2016, 06:05 PM

Today is the day I received my Muncie rebuild kit and I finally purchased a 20 ton shop press that's been long overdue, an I am ready to put this trans back together and hope I don't end up with 4 reverse gears and 1 forward!
Sean
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (609.2 KB, 30 views)
Old March 17th, 2016, 07:19 PM

I work on stock cars and install these transmissions every day. What I've done in the past is put silicon around the shaft then bolt the trans in and let the silicone ooze out, then wipe off. Always worked for us. Don't have to do it anymore because of advancements in sealing.
Old March 17th, 2016, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by seansolds
Today is the day I received my Muncie rebuild kit and I finally purchased a 20 ton shop press that's been long overdue, an I am ready to put this trans back together and hope I don't end up with 4 reverse gears and 1 forward!
Sean
Just pull it and swap it end for end

:-)

Unless you need 1:1 and 3 overdrives...
Old March 19th, 2016, 06:14 PM

This is my 1st and 2nd gear assembly..I replaced the synchro's and it slides much better. The trans used to get stuck in second gear at times hopefully should fix it. Also I put a brand new reverse gear in back of the aluminum plate. I needed to since the original one was shredded some. I will have to try and not grind this new one.
Attached Images
image.jpg (614.7 KB, 21 views)
Old March 20th, 2016, 04:03 PM

Here is the culprit for my front trans leak. It's the oil slinger finally destroyed after 40 or so years. Left is the obvious old one which was in pieces compared to the new one. The company I purchased the kit from did not have the upgraded solid design so I just opted to put back in it what has been working for years.
Attached Images
image.jpg (529.8 KB, 16 views)