Looking for TH350 technical information

Search this Thread

Old October 19th, 2012, 06:35 PM

Looking for TH350 technical information

Does anyone know where I might be able to find detailed technical information about the TH350 online? I've tried searching, I haven't found much. I'm going to be modifying my governor to change shift points. I know there are kits available to do this, but I like trying to do things like this myself first to learn more about how it works. I have a spare governor that I'll be playing with so I don't ruin my current one.
Old October 19th, 2012, 07:24 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

I have 2 spare th350's if you want to buy one to mess with 50 bucks . I also have a transmission manual that might help you 10 bucks . It covers a wide range of transmissions.
Old November 20th, 2012, 07:36 PM

Turbo Hydra-Matic 350 Handbook by Ron Sessions. Published by HP Books. The best book out there on the 350. Covers theory of operation, hydraulic circuit diagrams, trouble shooting, parts interchange, overhaul, etc.. Highly recommended.

Don
Old November 21st, 2012, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Precision Transmission
Turbo Hydra-Matic 350 Handbook by Ron Sessions. Published by HP Books. The best book out there on the 350. Covers theory of operation, hydraulic circuit diagrams, trouble shooting, parts interchange, overhaul, etc.. Highly recommended.

Don

Very good book! I have worn my copy out, lots of detailed information.
Old November 26th, 2012, 06:57 PM

you'll have fun messing with the governor but you'll get tyred of taking it out.. There are different spring combinations and weight combos. The more H/P the car is with rear end ratio the lighter the weights and springs... there is 8 different spring combinations and just as many weights if not more... You ought to see some of the spring charts for GMs.. for starters take a governor and hold it by the gear squeeze the counterbalance in towards center that's low gear.. now squeeze the two small weights in and push the two big weights out that's second gear now when all both weights are out that's high.. So first shift is pretty much set But the second shift can be changed... Now if you'll take a 6 cylinder governor and and VB and put it in a V8 it will shift later both shifts 1-2 and 2-3 and if you can find one out of an old 4cyl monza the shift is even later.. But then its best to use the valve body too cause its calibrated to the governor..So by if you don't work in a shop or Own a salvage yard don't mess with it too much with out getting a governor reprogramming kit..cause it will give you a starting point on where to start first that way you can use one governor and make 6 to 8 changes before you grind on the weights.. Very large can of worms