Lil Sis has an extreme KALunk

Search this Thread

Old September 7th, 2014, 07:28 PM

Lil Sis has an extreme KALunk

when shifted into reverse. On my way to work last Wednesday I took her to a fellow(Earl) that was recommended. He gave her a quick go over, checking the vaccum from the motor to the transmisson. Unfortunately that seemed to be just fine. Earl was hoping there might have been an air leak. This guy works out of his home and is booked up two weeks in advance. He thinks he'll have to have a look inside the transmission...yikes!

Friday I was heading into town...thought about taking the wagon but I didn't want to make it worst or have something break and I'm stuck somewhere. So I took the PU on the way I had a thought! I stopped to talk to Jim, the guy I bought the wagon from. After he opened the door I told him I was really enjoying the wagon but it has this extremely hard shift into reverse, and did he have any idea what the problem could be?

At first he shock he's head and said he had no idea what could be the problem. So then I explained I wasn't there to argue over buying a used car with a problem. That I excepted the car as is, but prehaps if he had a suggestion as to what the problem might be it would save me a lot of time and money. I told I'm starting with nothing and he had the car for four years, surely he must have heard this noise before?

He then asked if I had checked the CV joints? He said if I turned the steering wheel all the way one way then all the way back the other way I would hear a sound and that might suggest poor CV joints. He then says that these cars have tricky transmissions and I should talk to Scot at a local transmission shop. I thanked him for his time and appreciated his help.

So off I go to the transmission shop, talked to Scot. Told him I purchased Jim's wagon and told him about the Kalunk he says "yeah Jim had the car in for that". When I saked if he found the problem he says..." that's normal sound for these wagons". I argued the point, that it is a seriously hard shift, scarey hard, definitely not normal. He wants me to bring the car in on Wednesday...I don't know...maybe I should just make an appoinment with Earl.

The only other concern I have is when I slow down to make a turn.When the car down shifts there is a hard shift then too, but not as bad as reverse. It drives great otherwise.

Any suggestions?

Old September 8th, 2014, 12:10 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

H bodies are prone to front engine mount failures. Might be worth a look before you have the transmission taken apart.

Roger.
Old September 8th, 2014, 06:22 AM
Past Administrator

I think that a worn/bad CV joint would be more noticeable on a turn not on a shift. The noise is more like a clunk - clunk - clunk - clunk usually associated with a fairly tight turn.
Old September 8th, 2014, 06:26 AM
Administrator

Although not familiar with your year model, if your trans has a modulator, your description is indicative of not having enough vacuum at idle or the vacuum line connected to ported vacuum. When I purchased my car it had the same symptoms when the vacuum line was connected in the wrong place. Down shift would bang really hard and sound like someone hit the drivetrain with a sledge hammer.
Old September 8th, 2014, 07:49 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Something simple you might also want to check. If the tranny is low on fluid, you will notice symptoms like this. Check fluid after the car is warmed up and driven about 10 miles.
Old September 8th, 2014, 06:26 PM

I have already had the vacuum checked and it seems to be fuctioning well. We have also checked the fluid. Checking the engine and transmission mounts is a good suggestion and an easy item to check...fingers crossed.

Thank you for the suggestions.