Jetaway electronic kickdown

Search this Thread

Old June 6th, 2021, 08:47 AM

Jetaway electronic kickdown

i need some help here does the pin on the dashpot get physically moved by linkage or does it mive by itself. When i rebuilt my engine i switched from factory 2 barrel setup to 4 barrel qaudrajet. I dont think these 2 black and yellow wires coming from the trans were hooked up.

Last edited by 330jetstar; June 6th, 2021 at 09:00 AM.
Old June 6th, 2021, 09:40 AM

In an update i threw the dashpot back on the car only just know reading in the manual it is a low idle switch WOW no wonder why my car would not idle. I hooked the black wire with yellow tracer back up. And now it seems to want to idle. I still do not know where the yellow wire goes to.
Old June 6th, 2021, 09:58 AM
Administrator

One wire controls the kickdown at wide open throttle and the other controls the stall of the torque converter at idle, cruise, and wide open throttle. I don't have a wiring diagram for the 64/65 cars.
Old June 6th, 2021, 12:32 PM
Old(s) Fart

There are THREE wires that run to the large kickdown switch, the yellow power wire, the black stator pitch solenoid wire, and the white kickdown solenoid wire. The black and white wires run to the transmission connector. The yellow wire connects to an orange wire that runs to the TRANS fuse on the fuse box. The switch on the dashpot piggy backs to the large kickdown switch. The dashpot switch only controls stator pitch at idle and early throttle opening, so it only uses two of the three wires (yellow power and black for the stator solenoid). The large kickdown switch controls both kickdown and stator pitch at wide open throttle.

I have no idea what that wire with the blue hardware store crimp connector does. That connector isn't factory.
Old June 6th, 2021, 04:51 PM

I do not see 3 wires off the transmission only 2. A black wire and a yellow wire come from the reansmission connection. I do not see a orange wire to connect to the yellow. Does anyone have a a picture of their own car.
Old June 6th, 2021, 05:19 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 330jetstar
I do not see 3 wires off the transmission only 2. A black wire and a yellow wire come from the reansmission connection. I do not see a orange wire to connect to the yellow. Does anyone have a a picture of their own car.
Read my post again.

There are THREE wires going to the main SWITCH on the intake, black, white, and yellow. Yellow is power. There are TWO wires from the switch to the trans, black for the stator pitch and white for the kickdown. The small switch on the dashpot only gets black and yellow.
Old June 6th, 2021, 05:47 PM

I went and double checked i only see 2 wires coming off the trans. No orange wire in site. I have manuals and haven't seen anything there either.
Old June 6th, 2021, 06:03 PM
Old(s) Fart

I went and double checked i only see 2 wires coming off the trans. No orange wire in site. I have manuals and haven't seen anything there either.
One more time and then I give up.

THERE ARE ONLY TWO WIRES TO THE TRANS.

There are THREE wires to the switch.

Stop looking at the trans and look at the switch.
Old June 6th, 2021, 06:18 PM

Ok so the yellow wire from the trans would connect to the white wire of the kickdown correct? My white wire is gone have to add back in.

Last edited by 330jetstar; June 6th, 2021 at 06:22 PM.
Old June 6th, 2021, 06:41 PM
Old(s) Fart

Ok so the yellow wire from the trans would connect to the white wire of the kickdown correct? My white wire is gone have to add back in.
I'm sorry, but how are you not understanding this?

THERE IS NO YELLOW WIRE TO THE TRANS.

The trans has two wires, black and white. These run from the trans to the main switch on the intake. There is a SEPARATE yellow wire that provides power TO THE SWITCH. The yellow wire has nothing to do with the trans, it connects directly to THE SWITCH. This yellow wire connects THE SWITCH to an orange wire from the firewall that runs to the TRANS fuse in the fuse box.

The main switch has FIVE wires in total.

Black and white wires that run directly to the trans.
Yellow wire that provides power to the switch from the fuse box.
Black and yellow wires that run from the switch to the dashpot.

If any of these are missing, the system will not work correctly.
Old June 6th, 2021, 07:05 PM

this is the yellow wire with black tracer off the trans i was talking about "SORRY" if I don't understand. I just soldered in a wire to the back of the kickdown. Thats what i was asking if it goes to the yellow wire with black tracer to the trans.

Last edited by 330jetstar; June 6th, 2021 at 07:08 PM.
Old June 6th, 2021, 07:09 PM

Old June 7th, 2021, 04:45 AM
Old(s) Fart

The wires off the trans are black and white. The white insulation is likely yellowed from age. The yellow power wire comes from the firewall, not the trans, and runs to the switch.

Old June 7th, 2021, 05:15 AM
Old(s) Fart

Old June 9th, 2021, 01:34 PM

So the white wire was ripped out of the kickdown so i soldered a new one in. Ive rebuilt the engine went from 2 barrel to 4 barrel. How do i set or adjust the kickdown?