hydro swap

Search this Thread

Old December 5th, 2012, 04:19 PM

hydro swap

need help from early hydro guys putting a 55 slant pan in my 50 88 would like to use the stock 50 torus assembly smaller vanes for more slip i read somewhere that the splines and bore size after 53 changed would like to know before i pulled out the stock trans in case i need a later torus unit help

ron
Old December 5th, 2012, 08:31 PM

thanks coldwar the 49 54 55 and early 56 are similar 50 thru 53 are short vane no big deal except a little extra slip by just mixing parts i have trans is suppose to be a b&m had side cover off but did not see little t valve to hold 1st gear but other mods did the same thing i will post pictures maybe you can see any mods to valve body b&m mounting intructions says either bellhousing will work fluid level at different level mark dipstick i will use the stait bell for simplicity engine is a stock 303, will mount sn 60 paxton with studebaker carb enclouser and studebaker carb still no stress on this trans have hurst hydro-gate shifter for this swap my goal is performance parts that would have been used in late 50's early 60's the late chevy 350 350 combo puts me to sleep
Old December 6th, 2012, 11:52 AM

cw
i thought a 54 caddy was watercooled my 53 caddy unit is not anyway the hold in first is just an interesting feature useless on the street i couldn't shift that fast
i went thru the gears with the selector lever dual range should be NDSLR my lever gives me 6 postions NDSLR? when i slide the lever from low to reverse i can feel the reverse gear and the pawl drop for park locking the unit but i can still move the lever back one more position but it stays locked is that just an extension of the reverse park position
ron