Dohh damaged torque convertor ?

Search this Thread

Old November 9th, 2014, 02:13 AM

Dohh damaged torque convertor ?

I'm some sort of idiot I know, but yesterday I was removing the engine from my mates 72 350 Cutlass. We undid everything and started to lift the engine but it would only come out a inch or two then we lost all the fluid, I then remembered I'd forgotten to undo the 3 bolts hold the convertor onto the flexible plate. Is it possible that we have damaged the gearbox or transmission ? Should we at least change the main output shaft seal ???
Old November 9th, 2014, 05:25 AM
Administrator

If you actually got the engine to separate from the trans with the torque converter still attached to the flex plate, quite possibly. Ater you get the engine out, inspect the seal the seal, slide the torque converter back on the trans and give it a couple of turns to see if it spins freely.
Old November 17th, 2014, 08:44 AM

Thanks Eric, slid the TC back onto the input shaft and it spins freely, I'm gonna change the seal anyway. I assume it just needs levering out and the new one tapping back in with a wooden drift ?
Old November 17th, 2014, 08:51 AM
morgan

its always a good idea to replace that seal when you can and lube the shaft and seal with tranny fluid and i like rtv around the outer diameter before you tap it in
Old November 17th, 2014, 08:59 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Yea a seal remover will work. Careful not to gouge the aluminum housing prying out the old seal. I have a habit of putting a VERY THIN coating of RTV on the OD of the seal before sending it home. Be aware of the correct installation depth. Hand pack Vaseline (not bearing grease) in the rear of the seal to contain the lip spring...if it has one. Purchase a heavy duty (truck) seal. Take a good look at the pump for damage. Same for the converter wings and seal surface. Inspect the converter seal surface for a groove from the seal. If it has a deep groove time for a new converter. If its minor crokus cloth the seal surface if you marred it up. Coat the TC with trans fluid before inserting it into the trans. You do know how to seat a converter right?
Also inspect the flywheel for cracks at the crank and converter mounting areas.

Last edited by droldsmorland; November 17th, 2014 at 09:02 AM.
Old November 17th, 2014, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by droldsmorland
Yea a seal remover will work. Careful not to gouge the aluminum housing prying out the old seal. I have a habit of putting a VERY THIN coating of RTV on the OD of the seal before sending it home. Be aware of the correct installation depth. Hand pack Vaseline (not bearing grease) in the rear of the seal to contain the lip spring...if it has one. Purchase a heavy duty (truck) seal. Take a good look at the pump for damage. Same for the converter wings and seal surface. Inspect the converter seal surface for a groove from the seal. If it has a deep groove time for a new converter. If its minor crokus cloth the seal surface if you marred it up. Coat the TC with trans fluid before inserting it into the trans. You do know how to seat a converter right?
Also inspect the flywheel for cracks at the crank and converter mounting areas.
"Seat a converter". Hope I have, I spun it until it clunked into the slot, is that right ???? I'm not very clued up on autos ! Where is the pump located ?

Thanks for all the advice lads.

Dave
Old November 17th, 2014, 12:38 PM

my .02, would be to look at the front bearing while the seal is out to see if it got scratched up.
Old November 17th, 2014, 10:43 PM

The converter has to "clunk in" in twice, keep rotating it and pushing backwards on it until jumps/clunks two separate times then it is fully seated. There cannot be any interference between the back of the engine block and the transmission bell housing when bolting them together. Once the bell and block are bolted together the converter must be pulled forward about 3/8" to contact the flexplate.

When putting the engine back in, if the converter pushes against the flexplate before the bell and block are flush together, stop. This means the converter is not seated and pulling it together with the bell housing bolts will damage the converter and/or the front pump.

Good luck!!!
Old November 18th, 2014, 08:13 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

All good advice here. How many miles on the converter & trans?
The pump is at the front of the trans. Its what the converter engages into as your "seating it". You should be able to see the input bushing(bearing) behind the seal w/o pump removal. If the converter snout and bushing it rides on look ok then you likely didnt damage anything. If you feel the need to inspect the pump do some homework before pulling it. Youtube it or go knock on the door of your local friendly trans shop for assistance. If you really dont see any damage on anything so far you may be ok? But IMO its all right there and accessible Ive learned thats the time to inspect verses doing it twice or damaging something.
Old November 18th, 2014, 11:08 AM

As usual, thanks guys, info is very appreciated, just waiting for the pistons to come over from your side then I can start rebuilding the engine