can this be the transmission

Search this Thread

Old April 28th, 2016, 06:53 AM

can this be the transmission

I am having a problem with my car and not sure what it can be, I have 374 stroker engine with a 750 holly double pumper carb and a TH350 transmission, When the car gets warmed up lets say after at least 20 mins of driving. When you are rolling in first gear then hit the gas it will clog down a bit and then kick in like crazy. This doesn’t happen from the line, if I hit it at a complete stop it will burn tries and fly down the street, If I start out slow then hit it is when the problem happens even sometimes when I am just driving slow with regular shifting it will do the same thing, never in first gear always seem it happen in 2-3.

Then sometimes after it does this when I come to a stop it will stall. I know it is an automatic transmission but it almost feels like if I forgot to press the clutch in manual the way it stalls

First I thought it was the carb but it is brand new less than 1000 miles on it plus when carb was first put on it ever did this.

I do have a fuel regulator on the engine I am wondering if this could be the problem maybe not enough pressure or too much pressure?

I was also thinking maybe it is the transmission pump since it happens most from 2-3 shifts.

Don’t know much about cars I am learning so if some of my ideas are off I am sorry just trying here.

Thank You
Old April 28th, 2016, 07:09 AM

It's definitely possible. But I'd want to check other possibilities first. When was your last fuel filter change? Tune up? Checked the trans fluid while hot?

BTW, automatic transmission HATE when you stomp the gas while coasting. Ease on the gas to let the trans close up before flooring it. Your wallet will thank you.
Old April 28th, 2016, 07:32 AM

Thank you for the reply,

Fuel filter was change when new carb and gas tank with new line went in so 4 months ago.

Just did a tune up with new plugs oil and carb tune.

Trans fluid looked fine didn't smell or looked burned.

Also forgot to add not sure if it has anything to do with it, but when I come to a stop just before the car stop rolling I can hear a click sound coming from trans, it has always been there since I did the swap from the 2 speed to the 3 speed.

Thank YOu