71 Cutlass S

Search this Thread

Old November 27th, 2011, 05:14 AM

71 Cutlass S

I am attempting to install a floor shifter in my 71 olds, and i have a few questions. I currently have a 200 R-4 transmission. will the parts from 350 transmission, meaning

1. the shifter cable
2. cable bracket that mounts to trans pan
3. cable selector lever that mounts to trans
work on this transmission.

I have not been able to find a kit for this transmission. Also is there a difference in the floor shifter since transmission is different. Thanks for your help
Old November 27th, 2011, 05:57 AM
same but different

The problem I see is, you are trying to use a 3 speed shifter and cable with a four speed. I don't think that is going to work.

I believe you need a four speed shifter with an overdrive detent. A detent is just a name for the another position in the shifter itself. You'll probably need a longer cable also.

The other parts might work...meaning I don't know for sure.

Getting a cable is the easy part. Summit racing or most any auto parts store can get you a generic cable.

Depending on your budget, you could get a aftermarket shifter and cable, or perhaps find a donor vehicle with 200r4 and get the shifter and cable and brackets from a salvage yard.
Old November 27th, 2011, 08:09 AM
Old(s) Fart

Shiftworks sells a kit to convert your stock Olds floor shifter from a 3spd to a 4spd shifter for the 200-4R.