64 roto slimjim

Search this Thread

Old November 15th, 2012, 03:03 PM

64 roto slimjim

I've only had the car 2 weeks and driven it about 2 miles. When it's cold everything is ok, once it warms up when you slow down enough to turn in the driveway or stop it dies. I got a carb kit today because it sat for 2 years before I got it. BUT this is my first SlimJim so I have some questions. When it's cold I come to a stop and it feels like it going to die like if you forget to push the clutch on a manual but then it kicks in to what I call "idle mode". I assumed it felt that way because the roto has no torque converter and this was a manual unlocking of the trans so it could idle. When it's hot it dosnt kick in to "idle mode" or unlock or whatever it is that the roto does when it's time to idle. Then I noticed this vacuum thingy next to the trans dip stick, the bottom has a line that goes to the trans and the top line is missing. Could this be causing my problem?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMAG0279.jpg (27.4 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg
IMAG0280.jpg (35.5 KB, 41 views)
Old November 16th, 2012, 08:11 AM
Oldsdruid

Normally I tell people that if a Slim Jim is functioning, leave it alone, but sounds like yours could use a fluid and filter change. I'd guess the governor is sticking a little from lack of use and/or varnishing and not letting the trans downshift all the way to 1st at idle. Fatsco Transmission Parts makes a run of filters every so often, grab a couple.

The gizmus is the transmission vent. Make sure there's no dirt dauber nests or anything in the end of it. It shouldn't cause the no-downshift-at-idle condition you're having, but no harm checking it.
Old November 16th, 2012, 08:47 AM

Thank you! Is the govenor something that will get better once I drive more? Is it internal or external?