55 Olds - Machining Crank for Pilot Bushing

Old July 14th, 2011, 09:54 AM
Collector of Stray 55's

55 Olds - Machining Crank for Pilot Bushing

I have a lead on a 55 with an original 3 speed on the column - car has a bad engine but is otherwise very good - I have a beautiful running 324 but it's mated to a Hydra-Matic...can the necessary machine work for the pilot bushing / bearing be done without having to remove the crank - engine is out of the car and bolted to a wheeled skid - could be easily transported to a shop.

If I can have this work done without having to tear the engine down then it's worth me getting the car - If I'll need to tear apart (and subsequently rebuild) the engine I have then it's not worth it to me
Old July 20th, 2011, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Olds Dad
I have a lead on a 55 with an original 3 speed on the column - car has a bad engine but is otherwise very good - I have a beautiful running 324 but it's mated to a Hydra-Matic...can the necessary machine work for the pilot bushing / bearing be done without having to remove the crank - engine is out of the car and bolted to a wheeled skid - could be easily transported to a shop.

If I can have this work done without having to tear the engine down then it's worth me getting the car - If I'll need to tear apart (and subsequently rebuild) the engine I have then it's not worth it to me
You might not have to do anything to the crank. The Olds rockets with dual range hydramatic (not Jetaway) have a pilot bushing already, as the hydramatic input shaft centers in the crank pilot bushing. Now if the 3 speed and hydramatic input shaft has the same diameter (where the shaft goes into pilot bushing) then you are in business! If not, you could get the right bushing and just use a pilot bushing remover. No crank work!!!

Bet you never thought it would be this easy!
Old July 20th, 2011, 04:57 PM
Collector of Stray 55's

Awesome...hope you are right..thanks