55 Olds Holiday with Transmission Issue

Search this Thread

Old June 5th, 2013, 11:46 AM

55 Olds Holiday with Transmission Issue

I am working on an all original 1955 Oldsmobile Holiday hardtop. Usually, when a car slows down to a stop, the transmission just relaxes as you begin applying pressure to the brakes but for some reason that is not happening smoothly with this car.

I am not riding the gas pedal and the brake at the same time but it sort of responds as though I am. It's like there is a wrestling match between brakes and the transmission at slow speeds. There is a bit of a thunk and then she finally settles down to a stop, after I've let go and then reapplied the brakes. The car isn't idling high, the breaks seem to work just fine at all other times and it only happens at very slow speeds.

An acquaintance of mine suggested that it was just a torque converter adjustment and I believe he is right, in that it has something to do with the converter. Any suggestions or common experiences that might help put this baby back on the road where she belongs?

Last edited by MrCoolbreeze55; June 5th, 2013 at 06:53 PM.
Old June 5th, 2013, 06:49 PM

First of all you don't have a torque converter in a 55 Olds so no adjustment is in order on that part.

Several things come to mind and first would be a good engine tuneup and have the carburetor and timing adjusted correctly included in that tuneup would be an adjustment of the shift points on the transmission to carburetor linkage very critical. Also a change of transmission fluid using Dextron #3 #4 ( what ever number they are on now ) making sure the level is correct. Your transmission is a dual fluid coupling torus type transmission and first gear is a non adjustable gear but it is influenced by viscosity, cleanliness, proper oil pump pressure (in the transmission) and the level of the of the transmission fluid to some degree.To me it sounds a little bit like low oil pressure but before pulling a pump apart do all the rest, no harm no foul, and your car will run like it was new and probably shift better also.

If this doesn't work You will need to go through your service manual page by page because beyond what I have described it becomes a bit technical and a good old fashion transmission guy could be your best friend. Luckily I ave one....Lost in the fifties ...Tedd
Old June 5th, 2013, 06:57 PM

Thanks Ted that sounds like a good plan. She has been a bit fussy when it comes to cold starting the engine and that will probably fix that issue as well.
Old June 6th, 2013, 07:01 AM

You will be surprised what a properly tuned engine will do to your shift points sounds strange but very true with this engine transmission combo.

I will be off line for a while so if you need further help( and better also ) you might post this in the general section where it will get more views.....Tedd
Old June 19th, 2013, 08:34 PM

Mine does this exact same thing!! 55 olds super 88 holiday 4dr! it's lost me a couple interested buyers b/c they think the trans is bad. this was SO helpful. THanks!