350 olds in a chevy pickup

Search this Thread

Old February 10th, 2015, 11:21 AM

350 olds in a chevy pickup

I want to put a 1968 350 olds 350 in a 1984 4 speed manual chevy k10. How do i address the clutch and flywheel issue? I see the Olds flywheel is 166 tooth and the chevy is 168 tooth. Is the bolt pattern the same? Can i use a diesel clutch and flywheel? I would appreciate any help or experience with this issue.
Old February 10th, 2015, 06:31 PM

Does anyone know if the diesel clutch and flywheel will fit in the Lakewood housing?
Old February 10th, 2015, 11:30 PM

That's way above my pay grade. But Joe P handled it in this thread about two years ago: https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...into-what.html
Old February 11th, 2015, 04:00 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by billykissell
I want to put a 1968 350 olds 350 in a 1984 4 speed manual chevy k10. How do i address the clutch and flywheel issue? I see the Olds flywheel is 166 tooth and the chevy is 168 tooth. Is the bolt pattern the same? Can i use a diesel clutch and flywheel? I would appreciate any help or experience with this issue.
Several issues to be aware of. First, Olds typically did not drill the crank for a pilot bearing if the motor was factory installed in an automatic car. Check your crank before doing anything. If it's not drilled, you either need to send the crank to a machine shop or you need to use an aftermarket conversion pilot bearing.

Second, Olds and Chevy flywheels are completely different. You'll need a 1968-1990 Olds flywheel, which is available aftermarket as well as used. All Olds flywheels are drilled for normal 10.5" and 11" GM clutches, so that's not a problem.

Third, you need a BOP bellhousing. The Chevy bellhousing doesn't bolt to an Olds motor.

Fourth, if you are using a Chevy truck trans with the large bearing retainer, it won't fit most BOP bellhousings, which are sized for the car manual trans, not the truck trans. There is one BOP bellhousing used in trucks, the one used behind Olds diesels with manual trans. Good luck finding one, as I've only ever seen one for sale in the last two decades. Alternately, you can have a passenger car BOP bellhousing machined to fit the truck bearing retainer, but this gets very close to the hole for the clutch fork pivot ball. Alternately, I think you can get a smaller diameter bearing retainer from 4x4 places like Novak Adapters.
Old February 11th, 2015, 10:16 AM

thank you. I was aware of the bellhousing and pilot bushing issue. I looked at the Lakewood bellhousing. Can I use the diesel flywheel and clutch(12 inch) instead of an 11 inch?
Old February 17th, 2015, 12:57 PM

you mean clutch disc and pressure plate!as mentioned the olds flywheel is totally different.they do make conversion plates so you can use a chevy trans on an olds summit might sell them or jegs.
Old February 18th, 2015, 08:41 AM

I picked up a heavy duty 11" clutch and pressure plate to use with the Olds flywheel. I'll use the diesel mounts. I am looking for alternatives to the Lakewood BOPC to Chevy bellhousing. If that's what it comes down to then i'll spend the money. Either way, I know i'll have to clearance for the bearing retainer. Does anyone know of another bellhousing that might work other than the GM diesel and the Lakewood?