1958 transmission help

Search this Thread

Old July 18th, 2015, 08:33 PM

1958 transmission help

Anyone have a diagram on how the gasket between the flywheel and torque converter go mines leaking good
Old July 19th, 2015, 07:15 AM
Administrator

I moved your post to get you a better answer, hopefully one of the vintage guys will take notice.
Old July 19th, 2015, 07:48 AM

Are you sure it's not the front seal?. You should get a shop manual there is a complete brake down and a transmission diagnosis guide. MY manual doesn't show a breakdown of a jet-a-way or I would take a picture and post it but the slant pan is close in construction and It sounds like a front seal is a more common problem than the torus gasket though both will leak at the same area... Just my thoughts .. Tedd

Last edited by Tedd Thompson; July 19th, 2015 at 08:13 AM.
Old July 20th, 2015, 04:15 AM

It didn't leak before the motor was pulled to be rebuild I'm guessing it's the seal between flywheel and torque converter
Old July 20th, 2015, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by upon158
It didn't leak before the motor was pulled to be rebuild I'm guessing it's the seal between flywheel and torque converter
The front cover of the torus assembly comes apart. Don't recall how many nuts you need to take off, but it is about 6 or so. Remove those nuts and the front cover comes off, and there is the big o-ring seal. Like others have said, this does not usually leak, more likely the front pump seal, which you should replace too.
Old July 20th, 2015, 04:23 PM

We had the fly wheel off in thinking that big o ring is in there wrong and I can't find a diagram on how it's supposed to be it didn't leak any oil before now it's a steady stream from the bell housing
Old July 21st, 2015, 12:00 AM

Post From the 1958 Oldsmobile shop manual

Page 3-80 says:"Install a new flywheel housing "O" ring on the housing. Make sure "O" ring is seated in the groove.
Install flywheel housing with the 6 attaching bolts and washers. Tighten evenly and torque 40 to 50 ft.-lbs."

There is no "diagram" at this point. Fig. 3-151 is a photo showing installation of the "O" ring. It appears "straightforward". It seems that this would not be done incorrectly.

Fig. 3-166 is a diagram showing the front of the transmission and the possible locations for a leak.

Concerning leaks at the front of the transmission, omitting loose drain plug, porous castings, and bad welds, the usual suspects are:

Torus cover to flywheel seal damaged or improperly installed.

Flywheel bolts loose.

Front seal leaks.

Flywheel housing to case "O" ring damaged or improperly installed.
Old August 1st, 2015, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by upon158
We had the fly wheel off in thinking that big o ring is in there wrong and I can't find a diagram on how it's supposed to be it didn't leak any oil before now it's a steady stream from the bell housing
This stream is when the engine is running I presume. If it stops after shutting the engine down, I would say it's more likely to be the front trans seal. However to replace the seal you still need to dis-assemble the Torus assy. Which means the flywheel O-ring still needs to be inspected/replaced in the process. Just don't short change your self here by skipping the front seal replacement.