1955 Hydramatic Shifting

Search this Thread

Old April 17th, 2014, 08:54 PM

1955 Hydramatic Shifting

Hey all! This is my first post here. While I don't own an Olds, I am the proud owner of a 1955 Pontiac Chieftain owned by the In N Out Burger dynasty..

Unfortunately I have been unable to find a classic Pontiac forum.

I have been looking around here and it seems like there are plenty of well informed people, and I was hoping someone could help me.

I have a 1955 Hydramatic slant pan trans.. The trans seems great in the respect that it shifts through all the gears without slipping. My issue is this:

When it's cold it will shift pretty darn hard from 2-3 which I know is very common. Once it heats up it will shift alot smoother.. If I feather the throttle while it's shifting, cold or hot I can get it to shift pretty lightly, sometimes just as smooth as any other gear.. When warm it will shift almost perfectly..

I have read the wikipedia on this trans, I know they were really hard to set up the 2-3 shift, but I was hoping someone here would have any advice..

Also, the other day I drove the car for quite some time, for me at least. About an hour, and it was hot out.. When I put it in reverse it would take a while to engage, and when engaged if I gave it slight gas the car would buck and clank trying to reverse, before I realized this, the first time it happened, and I gave it some good gas it seemed to smooth out.. Once cooled off it's perfect again, and I have only driven it for maybe 30 minutes at a time tops since and it was shifting fine in R..

Any help would be great!

Thanks!!
Old April 18th, 2014, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by cmpcpro
Hey all! This is my first post here. While I don't own an Olds, I am the proud owner of a 1955 Pontiac Chieftain owned by the In N Out Burger dynasty..

Unfortunately I have been unable to find a classic Pontiac forum.

I have been looking around here and it seems like there are plenty of well informed people, and I was hoping someone could help me.

I have a 1955 Hydramatic slant pan trans.. The trans seems great in the respect that it shifts through all the gears without slipping. My issue is this:

When it's cold it will shift pretty darn hard from 2-3 which I know is very common. Once it heats up it will shift alot smoother.. If I feather the throttle while it's shifting, cold or hot I can get it to shift pretty lightly, sometimes just as smooth as any other gear.. When warm it will shift almost perfectly..

I have read the wikipedia on this trans, I know they were really hard to set up the 2-3 shift, but I was hoping someone here would have any advice..

Also, the other day I drove the car for quite some time, for me at least. About an hour, and it was hot out.. When I put it in reverse it would take a while to engage, and when engaged if I gave it slight gas the car would buck and clank trying to reverse, before I realized this, the first time it happened, and I gave it some good gas it seemed to smooth out.. Once cooled off it's perfect again, and I have only driven it for maybe 30 minutes at a time tops since and it was shifting fine in R..

Any help would be great!

Thanks!!
try:
http://www.forums.performanceyears.com

They have some members that might help.

My opinion of the hydramatic symptoms you have is:

TV rod slightly out of adjustment. Disconnect the clevis up at the intake manifold and lengthen by turning counterclockwise. This will reduce pressure slightly.

Band adjustments sound ok.

Might want to put new Dexron III in the box. Perhaps the oil is breaking down when hot.
Old April 18th, 2014, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by d2_willys
try:
http://www.forums.performanceyears.com

They have some members that might help.

My opinion of the hydramatic symptoms you have is:

TV rod slightly out of adjustment. Disconnect the clevis up at the intake manifold and lengthen by turning counterclockwise. This will reduce pressure slightly.

Band adjustments sound ok.

Might want to put new Dexron III in the box. Perhaps the oil is breaking down when hot.
Thanks for the advice! The car doesn't seem to shift too late would the TV cable change that? How much should I adjust? As for fluid I'm sure the pan would have to be dropped right? I know the filter is cleanable and I assume any 55 Hydramatic gasket will fit my slant pan. Lastly how much fluid would I need? Thanks!!
Old April 21st, 2014, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by cmpcpro
Thanks for the advice! The car doesn't seem to shift too late would the TV cable change that? How much should I adjust? As for fluid I'm sure the pan would have to be dropped right? I know the filter is cleanable and I assume any 55 Hydramatic gasket will fit my slant pan. Lastly how much fluid would I need? Thanks!!
Lenghten the TV rod, by half a turn. Try that and see if the shifts are better. This will allow the transmission to shift earlier. The pan gasket should be the same. Fluid is somewhere around 12 quarts if you drop the pan and torus fluids.
Old April 21st, 2014, 12:40 PM

X2 what D2 said, and I believe a completely dry slant pan will take 10 3/4 qts of fluid......Tedd
Old April 22nd, 2014, 01:49 PM

I have a Hydra-Matic Drive Pontiac Shop Manual for 1955 models (148 pages) if you would be interested in it? $25 plus postage.

Brian