1978 Toronado XS - back from the paint shop - Page 3 - ClassicOldsmobile.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old October 17th, 2017, 05:12 PM   #81

Napa sells starter parts separately, you need to know what you need IE, brushes, bearings, bushings, solenoid, etc
oldcutlass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2017, 05:23 PM   #82

That's what I thought. Thanks.
jaunty75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2017, 05:45 PM   #83

Put the new starter in today with little trouble. As 77toronado said earlier, I did need about six hands to hold it up, but I have spares when I need them. Actually, I used the floor jack, which was right there anyway, to hold it up near where it goes and then wrestled it in the rest of the way. Fortunately the two bolts that hold it on are about as easy to access and reinstall as any on the car. Car starts up just fine now.

I decided to return the core and get my $15 as my wife and I would really like a pizza. I thought about rebuilding the old one, but then I thought "why?" Having a spare starter around would be nice, but iI's like keeping a spare garage door on hand. How likely am I to ever need it? The new starter will probably outlive me. If it does fail, I'll buy another one at that time. In the meantime, she likes mushrooms on her side, and I like pepperoni on mine.
Old October 18th, 2017, 07:46 PM   #84

Murphy's law...
oldcutlass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2017, 09:08 PM   #85

You know where that starter came from
If it’s the original it hasnt been rebuilt
A million times now with Chinese parts...
Drbigblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2017, 09:45 PM   #86

Thought I'd resurrect a dead thread momentarily.

I just received the November issue of JWO, and as anyone else who gets the magazine also knows, it's mostly devoted to 1977 Oldsmobiles. That's not quite the year of my car, but it was the first year of the XS option, and the magazine has an image of the letter sent to dealers in October 1976 announcing it. I thought it was pretty cool, so I scanned it and enlarged it.

At the time the letter was written, Olds still had plans to introduce the XSR as well, and the XS was priced between the Brougham and the XSR as mentioned at the bottom of the page.

On the same page is the letter from March 1977 where Olds tells its dealers, basically, "never mind" about XSR. I read elsewhere that they couldn't get the roof mechanism to work reliably enough. The letter is partly obscured by the letter above of the way the letters are presented on the page, in sort of a montage format.

It says that they planned to bring out the XSR for '78, but that never happened.

Last edited by jaunty75; November 9th, 2017 at 09:56 PM.