Wanted for 66 Toronado

Search this Thread

Old July 21st, 2008, 07:51 PM

Wanted for 66 Toronado

I just had a u-joint cap break and the axle come loose. I need, at least, a u-joint and caps, probably the flange as well. This is the inboard u-joint.

Thanks

e-mail mantle@ruralnetwork.net
Old July 22nd, 2008, 03:40 AM
Oldsdruid

You'll probably come out as cheap buying a remanufactured axle assembly. You might get a RH that doesn't have the rubber torsional damper, but fit & function are the same. I didn't notice any differences in my 69 after replacing the RH axle, and I tend to drive the car hard.
Old July 22nd, 2008, 08:33 PM

This unit has a large flange secured with six 12point bolts. Two of the u-joint caps bolt into the flange and are triangular in shape and the bolts come in from the back of the flange. This afternoon I found a u-joint but after looking at the flange I find I'll need to replace it.

The flange is approx. 6 1/16th" in diameter and 5/8th" thick. It has 6 holes around the outer edge, and has a machined 5" locating flat on the back side. The center has a machined opening approx. 2.25" X 3.75" with 2 holes on each long side for the u-joint caps. This is definately not a CV system.

The u-joint is a spicer 5-356X and shows dicontinued in the computors. By chance, someone remembered a small driveline shop that the owner used to do Toronados and Eldos and I found an 80+ year man who who went right to the back and pulled it out. Say's "that's it, got no more!" The box is real OLD.
Old July 24th, 2008, 11:41 AM

I`VE THE WHOLE FRONT WHEEL DRIVE SET UP FOR THE 66 WOULD THAT WORK
Old July 24th, 2008, 08:31 PM

I don't need the whole set-up, or rather, I don't need to pay shipping on stuff I don't need.

When you are near the Toronado next time, look at the inboard end of the half shafts. You'll see two 6" diameter flanges joined around the outside by six 12point bolts, head diameter of 7/16ths. There should be a u-joint connected to the outside flange. It is that flange, aproximately 6"X 5/8th" that I need, and I could use the u-joint as well. Both sides even?

I have through some sort of heavenly intervention found 1 of the u-joints new in box, and I have a machinest that assures me he can make the flange, but it'll be some time before he's caught up and can get to it.

If the parts you have include what I need i'm interested.

Mike
Old July 24th, 2008, 10:22 PM

Transmission parts

I've got a 1966 and a 1977 parts cars. I'd rather not pull parts off the early transmission as it's a switch pitch. But if that's the one you need send me a pm with an offer including shipping from Medford Oregon and I'll consider it. John