Problems with LED display Panel

Search this Thread

Old June 24th, 2006, 07:42 PM

Problems with LED display Panel

Hi,I own a 1989 "Toronato" for 5 years now with 81000 mls. i am experiancing intermitten LED display problems of and on.I do not drive the car in winter time and is kept in garage. When i do take it for a spin after sitting for 2 or 3 month I find after engine start that Bars on displays Gas,Oil,Voltage and Temp.are not properly Lit.meaning, that first 2 bars are lit,next 1 or 2 are shadowed and next lit Ect.In most cases they will reset themselfs to be Ok after driving for 5 or 10 min.then ok for a couple of month and it will happened again sometimes reset in short order other times at longer periods.
About 1 week ago after start up,the Info. Line letters lit up as it should,but noticed Like a horizontal line go thru with top half of letters clear,bottom half of letters flashing and within 20 sec.it apeared Line Rolled downwards now only top half of letters are clearly visible.So far they have not reset themselfs.
2 days ago i started Car when display appeared It showed Speedo to Read a reverse 688 and Voltage as well as Temp.Gage did not Lite,Gas and Oil pressure gage showed all bars lit.toke it for a drive around Block no change in display Left idle in driveway came back to correct display.this morning same thing but came back 30 sec,latter.drove 60 mls today and no problems but INFO line still only Half line.Any Ideas as what to look for in my problems or talk to correct. thanks Guys.Sieg Kleine
Old June 25th, 2006, 07:56 AM

Ipc

This was a previous post the other day. Deb we use to have a lot of problems with the central power supply for those Toro’s, also the body control module (BCM) had there fair share of problems. The one thing I remember with the last generation Toronados, Rivera’s and Reattas was they had a lot of electrical problems, and most were caused by the components I just mentioned.

The most important to check is your battery connections plus all the grounds, Engine, chassis etc. Good clean and tight connections. I fixed many electrical issues on these newer vehicles by just going over the power supply, grounds and battery connection. But one quick check with cluster problems is if you smack the dash with you hand above the cluster and it lights or flickers, the problems is most likely in the cluster. Just thought I would share my experience.

Chris
Old November 10th, 2007, 08:07 PM

I agree with goodwrench1984 on the most likely problems. Intermittent on and then off or partial lighting could be anything from the IPC itself, the central power supply or the body control module, with the central power supply being prone to temperature related issues, and all parts having cold solder joint problems as possible cause. Check your trouble codes by entering the diagnostics to see what codes are stored. If you don't know how to do this, I or others here can help with that. If you find the problem and need a replacement part, I may have it.

Last edited by thebluesking; November 10th, 2007 at 08:09 PM.