priority list

Search this Thread

Old June 10th, 2012 | 05:54 PM

priority list

I have been searching and reading the posts but still have some questions.

The 68 we just picked up has not run in ten years.

The gas tank is coming off and having tried to siphon the old varnish out, i did notice some rust coming out from the neck on the hose, just dusty looking particles.

There are no leaks in the tank because it does have bad gas inside, however i want to treat and seal it.

Is there a good way to see if there is a bad rust issue?
Can this be handled with a cleaning/sealing kit like http://www.por15.com/FUEL-TANK-REPAI...ductinfo/FTRK/ this one, or is this one better http://www.kanter.com///productdetai...at=43&Prc=185#?

Replacement tanks seem to be like hens teeth, so if that sealer kit is not enough I have a buddy who can cut off the bottom of the tank, and weld a unit that fits, or fab one up, or fuel cell. Anybody every cut a donor tank in half to replace the bottom? Make model year?

I would appreciate your input and opinions on the first step.

Here is the list of to do's I have come up with.

Make sure fuel tank and lines are clean with new filters.

Change all fluids in the car. The tranny fluid is nice an clear pink, but old and I suppose that its a good idea to freshen that up to.

squirt some lube into spark plugs holes and turn over a few times, or hand crank the motor (which?)

Once the motor is running and tuned we need to stop, so go through the braking system

Once we can stop, go through the suspension starting with shocks and bushings.

Then start working on sanding for paint. How do you remove the chrome without fragging it?

Should I separate my questions> too much? I know I missed a lot, please advise.

thank you

Last edited by damalden; June 10th, 2012 at 06:00 PM. Reason: added link
Old June 10th, 2012 | 06:05 PM

I agree these tanks are hard to find. I had one that another member here wanted, so I took it to a local radiator shop. They boiled it out and even soldered one of the nipples that was loose for me. That removed all the rust and sludge that had collected inside. If you try that be sure and call around. This guy only charged me about $60 while others gave quotes over the phone of up to $200. The shop didn't recommend coating the inside as he thought it might flake off in the future and plug the lines. His thoughts were that it was now clean and if good fuel was kept in it that it shouldn't get rusty again.

John
Old June 10th, 2012 | 06:51 PM
Just an Olds Guy

ummm, Guys? The 68 replacement gas tank is a GM34C and is available from Rockauto for 115.00 + shipping.
Old June 10th, 2012 | 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
ummm, Guys? The 68 replacement gas tank is a GM34C and is available from Rockauto for 115.00 + shipping.
That's waaaaaay cool! A year or so ago a member here couldn't find a repop anywhere!
Old June 10th, 2012 | 07:19 PM

If you are wanting to keep the original tank, I would take it to a radiator shop and have it boiled out. Ive done 2 or 3 tanks this way and my radiator guy only charges 50 bucks. I would go with John's idea but $115 is a pretty good price for a new one if you want to go that way. Just depends on if keeping the car original is what your wanting. Good Luck

Last edited by Gator69olds; June 10th, 2012 at 07:21 PM.
Old June 10th, 2012 | 07:27 PM

wow, thanks everyone!
Old June 11th, 2012 | 06:12 AM
STOP call'n it a Chevelle

I only paid about $200 Canadaian installed in my '68 about 10 years ago. Did not find any build sheet. If you are pulling the tank out check to find old crumbling paperwork from the assembly line about your car.

Adam
Old June 11th, 2012 | 06:22 AM
STOP call'n it a Chevelle

WHOA! Wait a second. I had my A body coloured glasses on. The tank Allan showed was for a GM A body Cutlass, 442, GTO, Skylark etc So was my tank I mentioned.

I wanted to seee if you had pics.... You new car is a '68 Deleuxe - Toronado, that makes things a little different. Rockauto does not list a tank for a Toro.

Quick searching online showed no repop Toro tanks. Back to the original question.

What's the best way to clean a seal a non replacable tank.

Although, you might find clean used tank from someone here if you put up a parts wanted ad.

Adam
Old June 11th, 2012 | 07:45 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Originally Posted by damalden

I would appreciate your input and opinions on the first step.

Here is the list of to do's I have come up with.

Make sure fuel tank and lines are clean with new filters.

Change all fluids in the car. The tranny fluid is nice an clear pink, but old and I suppose that its a good idea to freshen that up to.

squirt some lube into spark plugs holes and turn over a few times, or hand crank the motor (which?)

Once the motor is running and tuned we need to stop, so go through the braking system

Once we can stop, go through the suspension starting with shocks and bushings.

Then start working on sanding for paint. How do you remove the chrome without fragging it?

Should I separate my questions> too much? I know I missed a lot, please advise.

thank you
The carb will almost certainly need cleaning out (gum) and new gaskets (old and dried out).

Changing all fluids is a good move, might as well leave the brake fluid until you attend to the braking system.

Before cranking the engine you might consider pulling the distributor and spinning the oil pump drive (anticlockwise) to get oil round the bearings first. Then spin the motor over with the starter.
Put new points and a condensor in as well, and the plug wires might need to be replaced.

I think you have your schedule in the right order, plenty of people here know more about body & paint than me!.

Roger.
Old June 12th, 2012 | 09:48 AM

This is INCORRECT. Nowhere in the 68 or 69 listing for Toronados, does Rockauto list a fuel tank.

GM34c dimensions are:
39 1/4 x 24 1/2 x 7 3/4

Toro tank dimensions are (apprx):
36L x 28W x 9H

That tank is too long, and not tall enough.
The width isn't really a factor, since the straps will hold it in, but the length would definitely cause fitment issues, as well as the height due to the filler neck.
Old June 12th, 2012 | 09:50 AM

Furthermore, during the winter I emailed Spectra, giving them the tank dimensions for the Toro, to see if there was any tank, of the hundreds they make, that had similar dimensions (off by ~1" could be dealt with easily).

Nope!

Honestly at this point, I'd pay about $400 for a useable tank.
Old June 12th, 2012 | 10:48 AM
Administrator

A Radiator shop is your best bet, I bring all mine there.
Old June 12th, 2012 | 11:16 AM
delete

Originally Posted by wikkonado
This is INCORRECT. Nowhere in the 68 or 69 listing for Toronados, does Rockauto list a fuel tank.
Easy there. The OP didn't say Toro and comment on Rock Auto tank was already corrected.
Old June 12th, 2012 | 07:06 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Furthermore, during the winter I emailed Spectra, giving them the tank dimensions for the Toro, to see if there was any tank, of the hundreds they make, that had similar dimensions (off by ~1" could be dealt with easily).
I went one better. I called Spectra Premium and spoke to an agent. They won't even think of selling a tank to the public. All their stuff has to go through a vendor. On the good side though, I can get a brand new GM34R for my 72 CUTLASS for around 200.00 from Napa.

Originally Posted by droptopron
The OP didn't say Toro and comment on Rock Auto tank was already corrected.
Thanks. I shouldn't have assumed that the tank was for a Cutlass. Lesson learned.
Old June 14th, 2012 | 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by droptopron
Easy there. The OP didn't say Toro...
Well, this is the Toronado sub-forum, so it is assumed if not mentioned
Old June 14th, 2012 | 12:40 AM

I went one better. I called Spectra Premium and spoke to an agent. They won't even think of selling a tank to the public. All their stuff has to go through a vendor. On the good side though, I can get a brand new GM34R for my 72 CUTLASS for around 200.00 from Napa.
Back when I emailed them, I also asked them if they'd consider making a repro tank for the late 60's Toronado's, and they flat out said no, due to lack of interest.
*sigh* :l
Old June 14th, 2012 | 11:40 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Well, this is the Toronado sub-forum, so it is assumed if not mentioned
Actually when I view some posts for the first time it's from clicking the "New Posts" icon - not by drilling down through the forums. Only occasionally do I look to the far right to see where it originates. I try not to assume, but sometimes it happens.....

Back when I emailed them, I also asked them if they'd consider making a repro tank for the late 60's Toronado's, and they flat out said no, due to lack of interest. *sigh* :l
That, my friend is a sad fact of life. I totally feel your frustration. I also understand that to make some of those special tanks, there has to be a market that will support the tooling and production costs.
Old June 14th, 2012 | 10:04 PM

Actually when I view some posts for the first time it's from clicking the "New Posts" icon - not by drilling down through the forums. Only occasionally do I look to the far right to see where it originates. I try not to assume, but sometimes it happens.....
Ahhh, my bookmark is straight to the Toro section, so I forgot all about New Posts, sorry

That, my friend is a sad fact of life. I totally feel your frustration. I also understand that to make some of those special tanks, there has to be a market that will support the tooling and production costs.
Yea I suppose so, wonder how much a new fuel tank mold costs...
Old June 15th, 2012 | 10:27 AM
Just an Olds Guy

I wouldn't want to guess.....but I would bet serious $$$ that if they started making those tanks, it would be priced like the Thornton OAI hoods for 71/72 Cutlass.
Old June 19th, 2012 | 06:22 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Any chance this one has a shot at working?
http://www.gastanks.com/1975-78-Toro...ctinfo/GM-40U/
Old June 20th, 2012 | 11:05 PM

Any chance this one has a shot at working?
http://www.gastanks.com/1975-78-Toro...ctinfo/GM-40U/
Hmmm,
It might be possible to squeeze that underneath, but there are a couple issues:

- The sending unit mounting hole is on a raised platform, you'd need a different sending unit (to read correctly on the gauge), or pound it flat :P
- The filler neck would have to be cut off, turned 180deg, straightened a bit, and rewelded on.

Otherwise, it's only 3" shorter length-wise, pretty sure the straps could hold that, it's just 1.5" less on each side. Although the grooves for the straps on the tank may or may not be off.
Width wouldn't be a problem, as the filler neck would hold it in place where it needs to be.
Height is minimally off, but still might cause slight issue with getting a sending unit to give an exact readout.

For comparison:

Last edited by wikkonado; June 20th, 2012 at 11:10 PM.
Old June 21st, 2012 | 12:23 PM
Just an Olds Guy

So if the height where the sender is the only real problem, would it be reasonable to (plasma cut) that section out and weld in a flat panel with the sender ring? Might work. I don't remember the tank capacity of the one I posted, but the sender would prolly need to be adjusted to reflect that change in height?
Old July 11th, 2012 | 09:18 PM

i have not called, but inline tubes page states that toronado tanks are available

"Tanks are also available for: Delta 88 / 98, Toronado, Omega. Please call with your specific application."