'Considering this '81 Toro

Search this Thread

Old December 7th, 2010, 07:34 PM
stetzie

'Considering this '81 Toro

Thinking on a purchase. Really like this color scheme too.
Car is available for $3800.00, but it's a long way from home in Florida.
What do you all think.

Old December 8th, 2010, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by stetzie
What do you all think.
From that one picture, it looks pretty darn nice. The fact that it's in Florida is potentially a positive from a rust point of view. What's the mileage and the general condition of the mechanicals? The $3800 price is not unreasonable, at least to me, if the car really is as good as it looks in the one photo.
Old December 8th, 2010, 08:16 AM
stetzie

Originally Posted by jaunty75
From that one picture, it looks pretty darn nice. The fact that it's in Florida is potentially a positive from a rust point of view. What's the mileage and the general condition of the mechanicals? The $3800 price is not unreasonable, at least to me, if the car really is as good as it looks in the one photo.
Thanks for the response. Car has 93+ thousand on odometer. The rest of the pictures, show a very clean interior and engine compartment.
Am going to call today and get more info on it. Wife is pretty cool to the idea, even after offering a vacation as part of the deal.
Ever have problems like this???
Old December 8th, 2010, 08:21 AM

Wife is pretty cool to the idea, even after offering a vacation as part of the deal.
Ever have problems like this???
I've been fortunate. My wife told me once, "if you're down in the garage, you're not out a bar somewhere." She's never objected, within reason, to my collector car hobby. She sometimes gets a deer-in-the-headlight look whenever I plunk down the occasion multi-hundred dollar sum for something for one of the cars, but I don't do that often, and she recovers quickly. It just gives her an excuse to go out and spend equal amounts on herself, and that's fine with me.
Old December 8th, 2010, 08:27 AM

You know, my father actually owned an '81 Toronado. He purchased it new and kept it for four years. He liked the car generally as far as reliability and so forth, but he always complained about the power. My father was never a guy who required significant performance from his cars, but, like anyone, he liked having enough power to get up to speed quickly on those highway entrance ramps. So for him to actually complain about this for any of his cars was unusual.

Well, he did complain about the acceleration on this car. His exact words were "it can't get out of its own way." I'd be curious, if you get the chance to drive it, what you think of it's acceleration from a standing start and when you're getting up to speed on the freeway.
Old December 8th, 2010, 08:32 AM
stetzie

I've been fortunate. My wife told me once, "if you're down in the garage, you're not out a bar somewhere." She's never objected, within reason, to my collector car hobby. She sometimes gets a deer-in-the-headlight look whenever I plunk down the occasion multi-hundred dollar sum for something for one of the cars, but I don't do that often, and she recovers quickly. It just gives her an excuse to go out and spend equal amounts on herself, and that's fine with me.
I'll have to suggest this to her. Hope it works. Always wanted a Toro. The only problem, is where to keep the car. It will get crowded in my garage. I have the convertible stored at a storage unit till spring, and my other two cars are in my garage now. Guess I have some figuring to do. My wife doesn't need any excuses to spend, so don't want to give her anymore ideas to do so.
I'll let you know what I find out on the car later today.
Old December 8th, 2010, 08:32 AM

If it's of any value to you when/if you get to negotiating price, the Old Cars Price Guide lists a value for an '81 Toronado in #3 condition ("car show" or "20-footer") at $3,470. In showroom condition (#2), the value is $5,390.

With 90,000+ miles, it's not exactly a cream puff, but if it's otherwise in very good shape, the $3,800 asking price is reasonable. On the other hand, you might be able to get him down to the low $3,000 range if you don't act TOO interested, if you know what I mean!
Old December 8th, 2010, 01:27 PM
stetzie

stetzie

If it's of any value to you when/if you get to negotiating price, the Old Cars Price Guide lists a value for an '81 Toronado in #3 condition ("car show" or "20-footer") at $3,470. In showroom condition (#2), the value is $5,390.

With 90,000+ miles, it's not exactly a cream puff, but if it's otherwise in very good shape, the $3,800 asking price is reasonable. On the other hand, you might be able to get him down to the low $3,000 range if you don't act TOO interested, if you know what I mean!
I'm going to give this a couple days and then give the seller a call, or wait till he calls back.
I'm having a hard time to get my wife to go along with this anyway.
Might not even happen.
Thanks for your input on this anyway.
Old December 8th, 2010, 02:10 PM

That is a heck of a good buy! I say go for it!
Old December 8th, 2010, 02:16 PM
stetzie

Originally Posted by toro68
That is a heck of a good buy! I say go for it!
I think so too, but am having much difficulty in convincing the wife.
Will keep trying thought.
I can have the car delivered to me, in WI and total cost will be $5049.00 to my driveway. Sure hope I can talk her into to it.
Thanks for the reply and encouragement.

Last edited by stetzie; December 8th, 2010 at 05:04 PM.
Old December 8th, 2010, 03:07 PM

Keep working on it.
Tell her, how cheap it will be to insure it (antquie).
Old December 8th, 2010, 06:55 PM

Thumbs up

Looks nice from the photo anyway; but it always HELPS to go LOOK at them in person; or have a Friend or anyone you trust to go evaluate it for you first. Price seems "Fair" BUT none of us have seen it in person...this is just one picture -- cameras can really "lie" pretty damn good...especially when us "Car Nuts" have our hearts set on something! Take your time and DEFINITELY try getting him to come down on price more -- this time of year not many sell very quickly. Also; for the shipping of the car, you should also be able to get it cheaper == try to get ahold of a Hemmings Motor News and see if you can find an open carrier; you'll save some cash there...IF you flew there and drove it back anyway it would already be exposed to the weather etc. GOOD LUCK and keep us posted!
Old December 9th, 2010, 06:36 AM

PJs autoworld in Clearwater has alot of nice cars...

Personaly , I would take the $5Gs and stick it into that convertable and get that on the road again...
Then take the change and do something with the wife and kids some week end.

Those '80s Toros with the 5.0 engines are gutless... but comfy as all get out to drive.
Old December 9th, 2010, 06:42 AM
Collector of Stray 55's

I have an 84 Caliente - yeah she's slow, but certainly adequate - like driving your living room couch around.

Honestly, I've bought and sold a lot of these 80's vintage Toros and that seems a little high, but if the car's really nice it may be worth it.

I think everyone should drive one of these at some point - an overlooked era in Oldsmobiles if you ask me.
Old December 9th, 2010, 06:50 AM

http://img.youtube.com/vi/BIhpYzoct58/2.jpg
Old December 9th, 2010, 04:46 PM

Thumbs up

LOL! Yeah! Exactly "like Driving your living room couch around!" I love it! SO true! NOT many cars today you can say that about! They don't make 'em like they used to! (Gutless, but you can live with it for the luxury touches and reliability I guess sure enough! ) GOOD luck whatever you do and let us know what happens.
Originally Posted by Olds Dad
I have an 84 Caliente - yeah she's slow, but certainly adequate - like driving your living room couch around.

Honestly, I've bought and sold a lot of these 80's vintage Toros and that seems a little high, but if the car's really nice it may be worth it.

I think everyone should drive one of these at some point - an overlooked era in Oldsmobiles if you ask me.
Old December 10th, 2010, 01:34 PM
stetzie

Is the 5.0 a 307 Chevy engine??
I can't find any info on a Olds 307 engine.
Old December 10th, 2010, 02:05 PM

Is the 5.0 a 307 Chevy engine??
I can't find any info on a Olds 307 engine.
Check this page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldsmobile_V8_engine

Scroll down to near the bottom.
Old December 20th, 2010, 01:38 PM

Hey Stetzie! Did you buy it yet?~! That 307 was used in the Buicks of that era, Olds AND chevy...it was pretty anemic for these big cars but once it's rolling it's FINE...gets good MPG etc. Parts are plentiful and for just cruising it's OK...pretty reliable engine..the big 98s had that same 307 from about '81 to '84...GOOD luck and keep us posted!
Old December 20th, 2010, 05:25 PM
stetzie

stetzie

Originally Posted by NorTown Olds
Hey Stetzie! Did you buy it yet?~! That 307 was used in the Buicks of that era, Olds AND chevy...it was pretty anemic for these big cars but once it's rolling it's FINE...gets good MPG etc. Parts are plentiful and for just cruising it's OK...pretty reliable engine..the big 98s had that same 307 from about '81 to '84...GOOD luck and keep us posted!
After getting buried with 20" of fresh, new, snow, with another snow fall expected with 5 or so inches. So, I haven't gotten back to dealing on the Toro. I've thought about it a lot, but have some worries about it.
Talked to two different salesmen there and got to different stories about the condition on the car. I will make a much lower offer and see what answers I get. I like the car, but I need to get better answers as what's all wrong with it.
Thanks for the info on the engine. That does help and may make my decision easier as to the purchase. The small engine is ok. Not looking to go screaming down the road, but have always liked the comfort of the big cars.
Thanks for your comments and I will let you know of an progress on a purchase.
Old December 20th, 2010, 05:49 PM

That does appear to be a non-US version based on the Km/Hr speedo. May want to check her for rust it it's really from north of the border.
Old December 20th, 2010, 06:09 PM
stetzie

stetzie

Originally Posted by 19Starfire62
That does appear to be a non-US version based on the Km/Hr speedo. May want to check her for rust it it's really from north of the border.
Will do, Thanks for pointing that out. The Km/Hr speedo slipped pass me.
"O" well, another question to ask. Car is in Florida now.
Thanks for your input on this.
Old December 21st, 2010, 12:20 PM

yeah, good points~!! GOOD LUCK Stetzie! "Buyer Beware" for sure! Check those CV Boots/Joints over real good up front too! EXPENSIVE to replace from what I'm told! BUT don't worry too much about that 307 Engine...they'll run forever IF well taken care of and they manage to pull the big Ninety-Eights of the era around...NOT strongly mind you, but for the Toro they should "seem stronger" at least -- just GOOD Hiway "COMFORT CRUISERS" as you have said. (NOT good getting different stories from different Salesman, but again, THEY'RE "SALESMAN!!" LOL!!) Good luck and take care. HOPE something GOOD works out for you!
Old December 22nd, 2010, 08:19 AM
stetzie

stetzie

yeah, good points~!! GOOD LUCK Stetzie! "Buyer Beware" for sure! Check those CV Boots/Joints over real good up front too! EXPENSIVE to replace from what I'm told! BUT don't worry too much about that 307 Engine...they'll run forever IF well taken care of and they manage to pull the big Ninety-Eights of the era around...NOT strongly mind you, but for the Toro they should "seem stronger" at least -- just GOOD Hiway "COMFORT CRUISERS" as you have said. (NOT good getting different stories from different Salesman, but again, THEY'RE "SALESMAN!!" LOL!!) Good luck and take care. HOPE something GOOD works out for you!
Going to let this rest till after the Holidays. If I miss out on the car, that's OK too. Just spend the money on my convert' instead.
Merry Christmas
Old December 22nd, 2010, 11:44 AM

Hmmmm - I'd be wondering if a fresh 403 woud slide right in there - - -
or too easy a 'tire fryer'!
Old December 22nd, 2010, 01:28 PM
stetzie

Originally Posted by Rickman48
Hmmmm - I'd be wondering if a fresh 403 woud slide right in there - - -
or too easy a 'tire fryer'!
'80 models had bigger engines. Don't see why an upgrade would be that difficult. Diesels where also an option. If not a 403, a 350 would work too.
Old January 4th, 2011, 05:33 PM

Exclamation

Happy New Year Stetzie! Heads up, lots of people could be looking/thinking of purchasing your car now too! JUST discovered it on Ebay and it jumped out at me because they're using this EXACT SAME picture! Starting Bid they're looking for is just 200 Bucks...keep an eye on her and you MIGHT be able to squeeze in a last-minute bid and snap her up even cheaperthan the 3,800...GOOD LUCK and keep us posted!

Thinking on a purchase. Really like this color scheme too.
Car is available for $3800.00, but it's a long way from home in Florida.
What do you all think.

Old January 4th, 2011, 06:49 PM
stetzie

'81 Toro

Happy New Year Stetzie! Heads up, lots of people could be looking/thinking of purchasing your car now too! JUST discovered it on Ebay and it jumped out at me because they're using this EXACT SAME picture! Starting Bid they're looking for is just 200 Bucks...keep an eye on her and you MIGHT be able to squeeze in a last-minute bid and snap her up even cheaper than the 3,800...GOOD LUCK and keep us posted!
Kinda lost interest in the car, especially after talking to two different sales people at the dealership about the car and getting two different condition reports. Also, the car is beige and maroon, not silver and maroon. I'll watch it anyway, just for fun. Thanks for the heads-up on the car being on E-Bay.
Stetzie
Old January 5th, 2011, 06:41 AM

Anyone wants one of these, I know of a real nice one being stored in a building near me, one owner (seller's 85 yr old mother) car with 53K orig miles, dealer serviced, white with red leather interior, real nice car, only dusty from storage... and he's asking only $2500! A steal in my book. Located outside Binghamton NY. Anyone interested PM me and I'll put you in touch.
Old January 8th, 2011, 08:09 PM

THANKS for the lead! HOPE we can get this one to a good home; it sounds like a good car and a good deal too....

Originally Posted by holidaysedan
Anyone wants one of these, I know of a real nice one being stored in a building near me, one owner (seller's 85 yr old mother) car with 53K orig miles, dealer serviced, white with red leather interior, real nice car, only dusty from storage... and he's asking only $2500! A steal in my book. Located outside Binghamton NY. Anyone interested PM me and I'll put you in touch.
Old February 3rd, 2011, 04:54 PM

Question

Hey Stetzie/Guys & Gals; anybody happen to know or catch what happened w/ this Toro once it hit Ebay??? (I meant to keep track but...) Just curious IF anyone on here wound up w/ her!
Old February 3rd, 2011, 05:06 PM
stetzie

Hey Stetzie/Guys & Gals; anybody happen to know or catch what happened w/ this Toro once it hit Ebay??? (I meant to keep track but...) Just curious IF anyone on here wound up w/ her!
Top e-bay bid was $2000.00.
The dealer's asking price was $3700.00.
Looks like the dealer has sold it, as it's no longer posted on their website.
stetzie
Old February 3rd, 2011, 05:11 PM

Thanks Stetzie! Interesting it only bid to 2K...wonder where it went and for how much. I was hoping you'd get it afterall. We'll see I guess. Let us know if you get a line on a better one! (The "thrill is always in the hunt!")
Old February 3rd, 2011, 05:27 PM
stetzie

Thanks Stetzie! Interesting it only bid to 2K...wonder where it went and for how much. I was hoping you'd get it afterall. We'll see I guess. Let us know if you get a line on a better one! (The "thrill is always in the hunt!")
Will do,

Thanks,

stetzie