Adding tachometer to replace clock - ‘67 dash

Search this Thread

Old June 29th, 2024, 01:19 PM

Adding tachometer to replace clock - ‘67 dash

I believe this install would work for any ‘66-‘69 Toro dash, as each has a clock in the upper right corner of the gauge cluster.

With a new motor going in, and really no desire to have a clock on the dash, I decided to replace it with a tach. The raw opening for the clock is 2-5/32” at the widest, and the attaching posts on the back leave room for a “C” clamp attachment or a narrow screw on clamp, which is what I ended up with.

Figuring out the actual dimensions of a tach online is the hardest, and I eventually ran into this one which gave enough measurements that I was comfortable buying it. It was listed as a “2-1/16” or 52mm”. I assumed the chrome lip was slightly larger and would encompass the opening correctly.

This is the tach I purchased on eBay for around $40 - 0-8000 rpm.

The clock comes out with 3 hex head screws, and the tach slips right into place, held tight with the screw attachment on the back and a rubber gasket behind the chrome lip. I’m happy with the way it matches the rest of the dash cluster.

The twist ring holds it snug in place. The wiring connector is easy to understand.

Depending on your choice, the face can be lit amber or white. The LED lights are crisp and clear, and the iPhone couldn’t capture that.

It will be a few weeks before I get this dash installed. I’m just beginning to assemble the motor, and once it’s in the car I still have all the accessories and brakes to install. As soon as I can get this functioning, I’ll come back and give an update. I think the only problem may be the full visibility of the unit based on where I sit and where the steering wheel is placed - but I bet I can see it better than the tic-toc-tach I have in my 442!!