67 Toronado not shifting into gear

Search this Thread

Old June 28th, 2024, 05:25 PM

67 Toronado not shifting into gear

Hi all,
Just purchased a 67 Toronado that is in pretty good running shape for a project car. Problem is it does not shift properly into gear.
Reverse works perfectly fine though. I noticed there is an additional threaded port stemming from where my transmission governor is located.
I cant seem to find any info or pictures of other transmissions with this piece. I imagine that something is supposed to thread onto here, but im not sure what.
Wondering if this could be my problem?
I'm trying to troubleshoot everything I can do myself before letting someone else take a look.

Old June 28th, 2024, 06:27 PM

Section 1-5, page 3.52 in the assembly manual shows this connection. There is a cable that goes from your open connector to the cruise control transducer. Are you saying that when you move the gear selector into a specific gear on the column that the car doesn't go into that gear? Or that it isn't shifting/downshifting correctly?

Old June 28th, 2024, 06:30 PM

Maybe the shift linage just needs adjustment? Check for missing or loose connections, bushings, nuts, washers, etc.

Old June 28th, 2024, 07:25 PM

Thanks for the reply. I have gotten the car into first gear and drove it a few meters at a slow speed. But there was a point where I was giving it gas and it was just revving the engine and not moving. My car was optioned with cruise control, but seems to be missing that entire unit where the speed selector cable threads in. Could the missing cruise control regulator drive cable be causing issues with shifting at all? The shift lineage also does seem kind of "loose", by that I mean it does not seem to select a gear and lock into place very well.
Old June 28th, 2024, 07:27 PM

Have you checked the fluid level?
Old June 28th, 2024, 09:31 PM

The cruise control missing parts aren't causing the shifting issue.

Check the fluid level as suggested, check for vacuum to the modulator, inspect the linkage, pull the governor clean it and inspect the gear on the end for wear.

How is the fluid color and condition?

Old June 29th, 2024, 03:54 PM

Fluid looks good, it was actually low so I topped it up. Issue still persists though. Going to look at the governor itself next here. The modulator is the next thing I will look at. Any idea how long the governor gear typically lasts? Do they typically wear out? Just hoping I dont need to pull this transmission.
Old June 29th, 2024, 04:19 PM

Just pulled out the governor and the gear looks alright to me. That cruise control hookup makes it really hard to slip that latch on and off the governor cap. Is there a particular way that the governor goes back in? I guess my question here is how do I know that the plastic gear mates properly when the governor gets inserted?

Last edited by PaulG; June 29th, 2024 at 05:17 PM.
Old June 29th, 2024, 06:14 PM

If the governor drops back in it is in place, no special gear alignment like timing chains and gears. Look at the governor gear from the side for being worn in the center/dished down. Clean the governor with spray carb cleaner and make sure the weights move freely.
Old Yesterday, 09:47 AM

The gear itself did not look worn at all from the center. I saw a picture somewhere on here of a worn gear compared to a new one, and mine doesnt look worn at all to me. The weights inside seemed to move freely to me, nothing was seized up or stuck inside. Was a tiny bit of black sludge inside where the governor itself slides into. not sure if that was already there or if it fell in when I pulled the governor. I cleaned it up as best I could. Going to take a look at the shift linkage and the modulator now and will give an update.