66 Toronado What color ?

Search this Thread

Old September 10th, 2018, 06:32 PM

66 Toronado What color ?

Here is the body tag from the 66 Toronado I have. I am wondering what the original color is. It may be headed to a car painter soon.
Thanks
Vin tag

Body tag

Last edited by OLDSter Ralph; September 10th, 2018 at 06:35 PM.
Old September 10th, 2018, 06:40 PM

Paint code K was for Ocean Mist - a light turquoise (or aqua) metallic, as evidenced by your pic of the vin tag.
Old September 10th, 2018, 06:57 PM

Does this look close ? This was taken in late afternoon light. It looks kinda "Sea Green" in the daylight. I do want it to be the original color.

Old September 10th, 2018, 07:32 PM

The 1966 Olds paint chip chart. Ocean Mist is third from the bottom, left column. Yes, it looks like the car above.

Old September 10th, 2018, 08:33 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

KK is upper & lower Ocean Mist. Here is a K code 69 S. These were the original colors on my 68 442, now resale red/black
Dad had a 66 deluxe U paint code Dubonnet Toro black interior deluxe wheels, comfortron etc, it was sharp. Thats what started it all for me. Your Toro looks clean, NICE! If thats original paint have a good detailer look at it. It may rub out nice and not need paint?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
K code 69 Cutlass.jpg (96.0 KB, 3 views)
Old September 10th, 2018, 09:25 PM

Thanks guys !!! The car was painted by someone and not a smooth job done on parts of it. I like the color and I will have it repainted the original color.
It is a very clean car, inside, outside and under the hood with only 99,000 miles. It needs a good paint job and few things adjusted, it runs like "bat out of hale". I'll be taking it to a painter on Saturday so he can look it over.
Old September 12th, 2018, 07:06 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Some advice from experience.
Get a couple of estimates. Nothing worse than body shop jail or a crap job due to bad prep cheap materials etc....Pay a little more and get a pro to prep and paint it. The shop should be somewhat clean at least in the paint booth area. The more you take apart the cheaper the job too. Such as trunk and door seals body trim etc. If there are any stickers you want to preserve make sure the shop knows this. Dont skimp pull all the glass to look for hidden rust before paint. The A pillars are notorious for hidden rot even on a dry car. Do the jams and undersides of the trunk/hood etc...Have the insides of the panels coated with zinc rich primer/sealer BEFORE paint or "Krown" or "Corrosion Free" rustproofing...AFTER paint.
Old July 12th, 2020, 09:04 AM

This is what it should look like, when done.
Incidently, to say that the Riviera is quicker than the Toronado seems to me to be a misconception. Especially, if he's not going to apply a little lead to that pedal. Just because the Riviera seems punchier doesen't necessarilly mean that it'll outdo the Toronado in a quarter mile run