'66 Toronado vacuum system

Search this Thread

Old September 15th, 2006, 12:06 PM

'66 Toronado vacuum system

Hi all,
I am having problems with the vacuum activated headlights on my '66 Toronado. First of all, the vacuum-cannister only has one line going to it, is this normal? The lights come up slowly when the switch is moved to the first detent (acc.the manual they should stay down) and when I pull the headlight switch all the way out then the left-side headlight goes down again when I accelerate....
I am in desperate need of a diagram of the vacuum-system, or good pictures of a good working system. I'm afraid that mine has been modified by the previous owner(s). Also, I am sure the system needs check valves, and I can't find any on my car. All help is appreciated. Thanks, Mick mick@w-andriesse.demon.nl
Old September 19th, 2006, 08:14 AM

just a brief follow-up. The lights DO stay down with the headlight switch in the first detent/position (like they are supposed to) and the parklights do come on. However, the tank (with only ONE line going to it) does not hold vacuum i.e. when the engine does not run the lights don't move at all. Where is the checkvalve supposed to be that holds the negative pressure in the tank?
Thanks.
Again, please can someone send detailed pics of the setup like it's supposed to be to my e-mail address? (see above)
Old September 8th, 2008, 08:57 PM

toronado owners association for schematics 7 pages and no there are locks on top with one line and one on the bottom
Old May 4th, 2009, 07:25 AM

8valve, I know this is way after the fact, but I just found your post and am having a similar issue.
Yours appears to have been a 66' Toronado with 67' cannisters (1 vacumn line.) and according to that manual it needed 1 check valve GM PN# 394420.
In my case, I have the original 2 port cannisters and am trying to find a good vacumn schematic. 67' also has a 4 port vacumn valve, where 66' does not. Someone told me that everyone with one of these systems replaces them with 12vdc/ vacumn valves. Heck if I can find one. I would like to know what you found out.