66 Toronado Horn Button Restoration

Search this Thread

Old January 3rd, 2014, 10:55 AM

66 Toronado Horn Button Restoration

I've decided to restore the horn button for my 66 Toronado by making a new plastic insert. I plan to make a mold from the current insert, make a clear resin casting, then paint it using original colors.

Here is a picture of the current insert:
Toronado horn button insert.jpg

You can see that it is severely stress cracked, and that some of the paint has flaked off over the years. Also, when I removed the insert, there was evidence that someone had tried to restore the insert previously, so I don't know if the colors I see are original or not.

It appears to me that, on the emblem, the rocket and frame of the emblem are chrome silver, and the background of the emblem is a metallic orange. The rest of the insert, outside the emblem, appears to be a flat silver (not the chrome silver of the emblem).

Can someone with an original 66 check and confirm these colors, or tell me what the correct ones are?

Thanks in advance.

Rocki
Old January 3rd, 2014, 11:28 AM

Found this picture:
Toronado 1966 horn ring.jpg

In this picture, the center emblem appears to be red. Maybe mine is sun-faded,. Also, there appears to be a red stripe on the chrome ring that holds the insert, that is not present on mine. Maybe it wore away or was removed when someone polished the chrome.

If someone can confirm the factory colors and whether the red stripe was factory or not, I would appreciate it.

Thanks again

Rocki
Old January 3rd, 2014, 11:56 AM

Rocki, those horn buttons seem to be the very first thing to deteriorate on the '66's. I searched high and low for a very nice button on my Toro but kept coming up empty. I did find other Olds buttons that fit but aren't in the correct colors. Anyway, here is a pic of I saved a while back showing the correct button. It appears identical to the one you posted.

Chris
Attached Images
Old January 3rd, 2014, 12:11 PM
2 '66 98's

I'm not positive but I think there is bit of confusion here. The original posting shows the center button for the Toro but I believe the other two pictures are for the Tilt/Tele wheel for the 98. The chrome bow-tie has a much flatter angle than the Toro, which has a deeper dish safety steering wheel. Can we get verification on this from other owners?
Old January 4th, 2014, 06:34 PM
Mostly Gristle

I have both a Tilt/tele wheel that came of a parts car and the original wheel (non-adjustable) that came on my car.
The original wheel has a much deeper dish than the tilt wheel which looks just like the ones shown.
I don't have any photos of the horn button, but I thought I would confirm the fact that there are two different styles of wheels that are correct.