66' Toronado fuel system

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2008, 08:57 PM
OldsRocket

Unhappy 66' Toronado fuel system

Well it has been really difficult to find a donor Toronado with a good shape fuel tank around my hometown area (El Paso, TX).
Mine is pretty rusted out. I had it cleaned, sealed, and still rust gets caught in the fuel filter. Not to mention my sending unit is pretty rusted too and not very accurate.
I began searching online for fuel tanks apparently nobody sales the tank for the 1966 toronado model.
I was thinking maybe getting a fuel tank from a later Toronado model, I did found a 1975-1978 or so for mucho dinero!!
Could this fit my application? Those the filler neck fit?
Any ideas guys?

http://www.1aauto.com/1A/GasTanks/Ol...GT00380/542077

damn guys im not sure what to do and I just hate seeing my toronado sitting.

Last edited by komondu; May 7th, 2008 at 09:12 PM.
Old May 11th, 2008, 03:47 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by komondu
Well it has been really difficult to find a donor Toronado with a good shape fuel tank around my hometown area (El Paso, TX).
Mine is pretty rusted out. I had it cleaned, sealed, and still rust gets caught in the fuel filter. Not to mention my sending unit is pretty rusted too and not very accurate.
I began searching online for fuel tanks apparently nobody sales the tank for the 1966 toronado model.
I was thinking maybe getting a fuel tank from a later Toronado model, I did found a 1975-1978 or so for mucho dinero!!
Could this fit my application? Those the filler neck fit?
Any ideas guys?

http://www.1aauto.com/1A/GasTanks/Ol...GT00380/542077

damn guys im not sure what to do and I just hate seeing my toronado sitting.
The later model tanks will not work. Not only is the shape different, but the later tanks are configured for evaporative emissions controls and non-vented cap. You'll need to keep looking for a good used one. Have you considered having your tank hot tanked to get it really clean before sealing?
Old May 13th, 2008, 08:25 AM

yea ive the same problem with my 66 toro,i live in orange tx,i came across a new fuel tnk on e-bay for a 65-66 olds cutlass 22 gallon new but i need to measure mine to see if the deminsions are right,the shape of the tank looks to be right,the filler neck looks close,at this point im ready to try anything even if i have to modify it using my filler neck,cut and mig weld,sending unit location looks to be the same,if i dont have any luck getting mine cleaned and sealed somewhere ,this is my next plan of action,there is bound to be a solution someway,,,,,,,,chris
Old June 30th, 2008, 08:00 PM

GAS TANK

HI THERE JUST RAN ACROSS A 66 TORO STILL NEED THE TANK
Old July 7th, 2008, 06:07 PM

TORO

I`VE GOT ONE OUT OF A 66 (ZASX@COMCAST.NET) & LOTS OF OTHER PARTS THE CAR `S GOING TO THE BONE YARD THE END OF THE MONTH