66 Toronado

Search this Thread

Old November 1st, 2014, 04:56 PM

66 Toronado

just got a 66 Toronado but the gauges are not working. The previous owner attempted aftermarket gauges, (not working either) but in the process disconnected or cut wires to most of the original. I need to pull the dash to be able to correct the issues but it doesn't seem to want to come out. Any advice other than what one "comedian" told me "use a chainsaw". Love this car and want to get her back to where she should be. Thanks.
Old November 1st, 2014, 05:15 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Can you get away with just pulling the cluster?

Instructions for pulling the cluster or the dash are in the CSM.

Welcome to ClassicOlds.

- Eric
Old November 1st, 2014, 05:31 PM

66 Toronado

thanks for the welcome. Have tried pulling just the cluster but it seems to be hanging up. Have crawled around underneath unhooking everything I could find, but... Also the service manual is not there, I have located one online and ordered it but it won't be here for another week.

Last edited by azcwgrl62; November 1st, 2014 at 05:35 PM.
Old November 1st, 2014, 05:34 PM

Did you remove the speedometer cable? That would be the most likely item preventing the panel from coming out. But backing up, is it coming out an inch or so but no further? Or is it still fairly tight against the metal support even though you think you've got all the fasteners out? If you have, then tell us what you've unhooked so far or better yet if you can post a picture showing how loose it is.

John
Old November 1st, 2014, 05:43 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

You can also download a copy of the Chassis Service Manual right now it you want, for a $10 donation to the Auto History Preservation Society at WildAboutCars.

- Eric
Old November 1st, 2014, 05:45 PM

66 Toronado

Yes; have removed speedo cable, headlights, wipers, etc and removed fasteners. You are right it comes out about an inch and then....
Old November 1st, 2014, 05:53 PM

I've pulled a few of these, but its been a while. Did you drop the steering column? It seems like I've always done that, not sure if there's anything connecting the two or I just did that to get the steering wheel out of the way.

John
Old November 1st, 2014, 06:10 PM

66 Toronado

Thanks for the info. Eric. I will check it out.
Haven't tried dropping the steering column yet, but may have to I guess. Thanks for the heads up John.
Old November 1st, 2014, 06:11 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

You're really gonna make me do it, huh?

Okay, if I have to:

- Eric
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1966 Toronado Cluster Removal.jpg (101.3 KB, 223 views)
Old November 1st, 2014, 06:45 PM

66 Toronado

That was awfully nice of you Eric. Thanks so much.

Rose
Old November 1st, 2014, 06:54 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

You shouldn't mess with a job like that without having some idea of what you need to do, especially if the car's been touched by idiots already. Things could go wrong.

You're welcome. We all try to help here.

- Eric
Old November 1st, 2014, 07:52 PM

Thanks for your concern Eric. Actually, I'm a pretty mechanically inclined gal. Have changed out gauges and such before, just been awhile since my last classic and it wasn't an Old's, my first car was a 66 Buick Riviera GS that I helped my dad rebuild the engine. And.. yes I hadn't realized until I got into it what had been done prior. But you are right I should have located a service manual first, something I will quickly rectify. I do appreciate your help.
Thanks again,
Rose
Old November 1st, 2014, 08:12 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Not trying to suggest you're not up to it, just that sometimes things like dashboards can hold surprises for any of us, especially since they often involve plastic tabs that are just a little bit less durable than you thought they would be.

You like the personal luxury cars, eh? You've got good taste.

Good luck with this one and keep us posted! Though you'll probably get most of the answers you need from the manual, once you get it, we're always here to clarify anything, or answer any questions that aren't covered.

And we love pictures.

- Eric
Old November 1st, 2014, 08:27 PM

No offense taken here. Yes they do hold some surprises, that's part of the fun as well as the frustration. I've always loved that "sweet purr" of a muscle car, lol. Even on my 05 Chevy HD 2500 I upgraded the intake and exhaust as well as added a Hypertec Chip to enhance the sound as well as the power. I am new to this forum thing and if I can figure out how I will add some pic's, so far it keeps refusing to upload for me. I like engines better than computers : )
Old November 1st, 2014, 08:49 PM

66 Toronado

ok Let's see if this works. I think I got a pic of my new "baby" to finally attach, we'll see.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
exterior 1.jpg (320.1 KB, 68 views)
Old November 1st, 2014, 09:12 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Ooooooooooh. Nice.
Old November 1st, 2014, 09:33 PM

Thank you! I thought so too. Found her on Craigslist on Wednesday, went to look at her on Thursday and the rest is history... She is a 2 owner vehicle, with 82,700 original miles. Overall she's in pretty good shape for her age. The exterior only has a couple of small defects. I need to re-sheet metal the inside of the trunk, (the last owner let her sit out and we had some really good rains this year and the seal on the trunk was bad and he "didn't notice it filled with water". Then of course there's the gauges and the upholstery needs some work. But she runs good. I changed oil, filters, plugs and wires today and she has no leaks. Besides she reminds me of my GS, same body style, (little different in the fact that the headlights have the "eyebrows" vs. rolling back up under the hood when off), but even the gauge cluster is similar with the drum speedo.
Old November 2nd, 2014, 05:19 AM

I done this a week ago, you need to remove the 2 nuts holding the steering column and put in on the seat, then you remove the 2 bolts on the top of the instrument panel and fews bolts inside.Then you remove the headlight switch , the wiper harness,the radio *****, the ignition switch , the gauges harness ( 2 long parts ) and the speedometer cable.

Last edited by kanotix; November 2nd, 2014 at 05:22 AM.
Old November 2nd, 2014, 05:55 AM

Thank you for the info, I will be working on her again today.
Old November 2nd, 2014, 06:32 AM
Administrator

Very nice!
Old November 2nd, 2014, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by azcwgrl62
Thank you! I thought so too. Found her on Craigslist on Wednesday, went to look at her on Thursday and the rest is history... She is a 2 owner vehicle, with 82,700 original miles. Overall she's in pretty good shape for her age. The exterior only has a couple of small defects. I need to re-sheet metal the inside of the trunk, (the last owner let her sit out and we had some really good rains this year and the seal on the trunk was bad and he "didn't notice it filled with water". Then of course there's the gauges and the upholstery needs some work. But she runs good. I changed oil, filters, plugs and wires today and she has no leaks. Besides she reminds me of my GS, same body style, (little different in the fact that the headlights have the "eyebrows" vs. rolling back up under the hood when off), but even the gauge cluster is similar with the drum speedo.

If the trunk is wet, you will probably also need the rubber downspout tubes that drain the rear window louver panel out through the back side of rear quarter panel. Fusick has reproduced them, and sells them with new clamps.
I've pulled a few Toro dashes, and yes, the steering column has to be dropped onto the seat. Be sure to pull a cable off of the battery when pulling the dash panel. Sparks can fly. Once you get the screws at the top, radio nuts, speedo cable, and the brackets & column at the bottom, you should be able to pull it out a couple of inches. Where it says "Remove bolts A & B" above, it's also helpful and easier to ALSO unbolt the brackets from the back of the panel. It makes realignment easier on reassembly as well.
Then unbolt the HVAC control, vent tubes, headlight switch, ignition switch, and everything else. The radio can stay in place, but might have brackets on it that need to be removed. If you do remove the radio, it has to be back in place before reinstalling the dash panel assembly. The car will start & run for component testing with the dash completely removed, and the ignition reinstalled. Be sure to reassemble in the same order, and take notes & photos as you go.
You can send me the clock for repair, if needed. Be sure clean, and/or change all of your dash light, & indicator bulbs while you are in there.
I've got to say that it's odd that none of the gauges are working. It might be a simple as a bad ground wire.

Jerry~

Last edited by twintracks; November 2nd, 2014 at 07:52 AM.
Old November 2nd, 2014, 09:09 AM

lol.... but that would spoil all my fun balanced by frustration. Pretty nice car you have there yourself.
Old November 2nd, 2014, 09:27 AM

Got it out and yes I did have to drop the steering column. Have decided to do some extra cleanup behind the dash while I've got it apart, the vent hoses and such are pretty deteriorated as well as a couple of vacuum lines, and I may just go ahead and refinish the dash itsel while I have it apart. I did have the forethought to pick up extra bulbs the other day, so have them on hand. I think a lot of the gauge problems are do to the previous owner, the only gauge working was the speedo. I did think to make notes and label vacuum lines and such, but thanks for the reminder. The trunk is not wet now but the amount of rust in it tells me it was at one time and he admitted this to be the case, fortunately this is the only area with rust issues.
Old November 2nd, 2014, 04:53 PM

Look for the drain tubes in the trunk. In an AZ car, I'm sure they are deteriorated from the heat. I used to make them from bicycle inter tubes before Fusick had them available.
Old November 2nd, 2014, 05:38 PM

Will do. Thanks again.
Rose
Old November 2nd, 2014, 07:46 PM

That is one nice lookin Toro. Love the color.
Old November 2nd, 2014, 09:50 PM

Thank you. The color is part of what caught my eye. I think when I get her done I will be using the same, if not close.
Rose
Old November 5th, 2014, 07:07 PM

Well... figured out the gauges. The p.o. cut the dang wires when trying to hook up aftermarket and then didn't get, even them, hooked up right. Only thing I'm not sure about yet is the clock. But I decided before I put it all back together, I may as well begin my restoration at the dash. All of the ac/heater duct and underdash insulation is dry rotted, so I will replace that. Have the lower dash caps off so I can do repairs and need to do a little work as well on the upper metal dash. Why take it apart twice, once was bad enough, all nuts and screws were pretty well frozen in place. Changed plugs, wires and the fan clutch yesterday as well. All in all, I'm having fun.
Old November 5th, 2014, 07:54 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Great!
Old November 5th, 2014, 08:25 PM

Thanks Eric. Do you have any "projects" in the works?
Old November 5th, 2014, 09:01 PM

Love the first generation Toros.
You said it's a '66.
Didn't think the vinyl tops came out 'til '67 on the Toros.
Is the top original?
Old November 5th, 2014, 09:29 PM

Cool First Gen

Hi Ed.
Not many vinyl tops on the 66's that I know of. Some history behind this one, is that the 1st owner worked for GM at the time when the toro's were first coming out and knew of them and ordered this one for himself. The top is original, but the vinyl is gone and top was painted black instead. Decoding the vin shows it too definitely be a 66.
Rose

Last edited by azcwgrl62; November 6th, 2014 at 10:16 AM.
Old November 6th, 2014, 04:00 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by azcwgrl62
Do you have any "projects" in the works?
Not right now - too much to do to keep all the other stuff from falling apart.

- Eric
Old November 6th, 2014, 06:54 AM

Cool

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Not right now - too much to do to keep all the other stuff from falling apart.

- Eric

Isn't that the way it always seems to go...?
Looks like you're in for some cold weather up your way.
That's the good thing about AZ. Few days that are too cold to be outside.

Rose
Old November 6th, 2014, 07:32 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

If the prior owner cut the wires and left part of them on the gauges, your job will be a lot easier. You can match the colors up with the dangling wires under the dash. I did a lot of wiring when I was in the USAF (a long time ago) and have found it to be very helpful in working on old cars.

Very nice car. Great colors.
Old November 6th, 2014, 10:12 AM

First... from one vet to another THANK YOU for your sacrifice and service. Secondly that's a pretty sweet lookin' ride you have there. My son and I did get all the gauge wiring hooked back up correctly and they are now, once again in working condition. I decided to redo all the duct hosing and re-insulate the fire wall as well as repair/restore both the upper metal dash and lower plastic dash caps prior to putting it all back together, so just a matter of time and TLC.
Old December 22nd, 2014, 09:00 PM

Hi Jerry,
what do you charge to repair clocks?
Thanks,
Old December 23rd, 2014, 05:04 AM

Rose, PM sent.
Jerry