66 - 67 Toro license plate light lenses

Search this Thread

Old December 25th, 2008, 04:16 AM

66 - 67 Toro license plate light lenses

Anyone out there ever came across a source for these. Mine are pretty nice ones but I would like to get a NOS or near set for her. These are different from all the other tag lenses from GM. They are more squared off than the others and slightly wedge shaped if viewed from the side. I have checked a lot of sources over the years but never found them. Most used are badly yellowed and or damaged. Maybe there is someone out there that does one of reproductions or something. These are the only lens that I didnt replace when I did my restoration as none were available so I took the best set of the 3 parts cars and used them. It was the only thing that got criticized after all the hard work and years of restoring her too.
Old December 25th, 2008, 08:31 AM

I don't know were to find the lenses but wold like to see pictures of your car. You might try contacting 2blu442 as he has some Toro parts
Old December 25th, 2008, 11:04 AM
Oldsdruid

Originally Posted by oldsmobilia
It was the only thing that got criticized after all the hard work and years of restoring her too.
One thing I have always taken into consideration when judging a car is availability of replacement parts. When NOS either doesn't exist or is priced out of reach by people who know how rare the piece is, there is no reproduction available, or restoration of the part would be totally cost-prohibitive, I generally don't slam a car owner on it. I'll note it, but I won't take as big a deduction as I would if I know there are quality repop pieces available.

Even if you find NOS lenses in the GM box, I can almost guarantee they'll be yellowed. Something about the clear plastic they were using then just didn't hold up well.

If the lenses are all anyone can find to criticize, invite the critic to find and pay for a better set.
Old December 28th, 2008, 04:23 AM

Hi raider. Thanks for the reply. The issue came up when I had the Toro appraised after 7 years of restoration. He quizzed me as to why I did not replace them as I had all the other lenses on the car. It is not a big issue, but an item I am always on the hunt for in the event that a set does come up. I agree with your yellowing issues and have seen this many times on lenses for other cars. In fact, the ones I have on her now are superior to many in the box ones I have seen in the past. The appraisal was done very meticulously and time consuming. More so because this was the first gen one Toro the appraiser had ever seen let alone do an appraisal on. As Toro owners are more than aware, we dont restore these beasts in the hopes for financial gain...just the love of the cars. The only other thing he had issues with is my inoperative cruise control. The car has the dash switch assembly, wiring harness and the actuator under the hood but the connecting links were never there from day one. My original service manual really doesnt have good pics of the whole mechanisms and how they route, nor does the assembly manual I have for these cars. Any 66 - 67 Toro guys reading this have good pics of the connection between carb and cruise control would be appreciated. One of the parts cars did have the cruise option and I have it boxed up in the mezzanine, just havent had enough detail on how to correctly install it yet. John
Old December 28th, 2008, 04:30 AM

Sure thing. I'll get the wife to post a few ...shes the computer geek around here...I wouldnt know where to begin.