1969 Toronado Exterior

Search this Thread

Old September 20th, 2013, 08:47 AM

1969 Toronado Exterior

anyone know were i can get the original side mirrors?

Last edited by 2Paul4U; September 20th, 2013 at 09:03 AM. Reason: none
Old September 20th, 2013, 10:19 AM

Fusick and USA Part Supply carry the non-remote style mirrors. Otherwise, for the driver side remote mirror your only option is to find a used one. Unfortunately, like 95% of the 1960’s cars the Toronado did not have an optional passenger side mirror. Most Oldsmobile’s from 1968 to 1970 used the same style mirrors, so you can get a non-remote passenger style mirror. However, it will not exactly match a factory equipment remote mirror.

Originally Posted by 2Paul4U
Fus
Old September 20th, 2013, 10:39 AM
NôôB

I might know where a set are. Next time I am out in that location i will take a look and get some pictures if you would like
Old September 20th, 2013, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by 68RocketAction
Fusick and USA Part Supply carry the non-remote style mirrors. Otherwise, for the driver side remote mirror your only option is to find a used one. Unfortunately, like 95% of the 1960’s cars the Toronado did not have an optional passenger side mirror. Most Oldsmobile’s from 1968 to 1970 used the same style mirrors, so you can get a non-remote passenger style mirror. However, it will not exactly match a factory equipment remote mirror.

Fus
So the passenger side never came with a side mirror on the 69?
Old September 20th, 2013, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by sicky olds
I might know where a set are. Next time I am out in that location i will take a look and get some pictures if you would like
That would be awsome if you can, thanks!
Old September 20th, 2013, 11:45 AM
NôôB

No, just got off the phone with my buddy and he said they only had the driver side mirror. And i have no clue what these go for or the condition of the one that he has. I will get pictures as soon as i can, is there anything else that you are looking for from a 69 toronado?
Old September 20th, 2013, 11:52 AM

No, just got off the phone with my buddy and he said they only had the driver side mirror. And i have no clue what these go for or the condition of the one that he has. I will get pictures as soon as i can, is there anything else that you are looking for from a 69 toronado?
Wow thats crazy cause that means some idiot who had this car before me screwed in some after market bullcrap on the passenger side and driver side.. looking for a carpet cause right now i had to pull it due to panel rust. getting ready to sand and weld, thanks for checkin on this ++

Last edited by 2Paul4U; September 20th, 2013 at 12:01 PM.
Old September 20th, 2013, 12:07 PM

is there anything else that you are looking for from a 69 toronado?
Actually also looking for the adjustable headlight spring cause mine stretched when i took the lamp off one day. I was retarded and pulled to hard x.x
Old September 20th, 2013, 12:16 PM

Unfortunately, they did not. I have never understood why almost no car manufactured before the early 1970’s had an optional passenger side mirrors. Personally, I feel my 68 Toronado looks a little lopsided with only having a driver side mirror. However, mine is equipped with the remote drivers side mirror, so the optional passengers side mirror that was available on the cutlass (non-remote) does not match. Some people use them, but they do not have that thick two-inch chrome rim as the remote mirror does.

Old September 20th, 2013, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by 68RocketAction
Unfortunately, they did not. I have never understood why almost no car manufactured before the early 1970’s had an optional passenger side mirrors. Personally, I feel my 68 Toronado looks a little lopsided with only having a driver side mirror. However, mine is equipped with the remote drivers side mirror, so the optional passengers side mirror that was available on the cutlass (non-remote) does not match. Some people use them, but they do not have that thick two-inch chrome rim as the remote mirror does.
Yeah your right!, wow i just noticed that in your album. by the way your toro looks clean! is it fully completed or you still tinkering with it?
Old September 22nd, 2013, 09:39 PM

Its mostly complete, but I am still working on a few things. I just got finished replacing the dash and restoring the wrinkle finish to the instrument panel. It was a royal pain taking the old dash out, but it looks a million times better. The headlight shutters have started giving me fits due to a leaky relay valve. Hopefully I might have found another one locally, but if it does not work out I think I am going to try making one from a 68 or 69 Corvette work for me. Unfortunately my 68 was hardly drove and set for years in the desert. So it seems like as soon as I get one thing fixed something else is needing some attention...

Last edited by 68RocketAction; September 22nd, 2013 at 09:41 PM.
Old September 22nd, 2013, 10:19 PM

Matt, you should get hooked up with David above^^^^ since he is coming up tomorrow. You guys could carpool and save some $$$$!
Old September 22nd, 2013, 11:00 PM

Mirror

Group 10.185 Mirror package: PN 982933- 1968-69 /390 outside rear view- right.......
Old September 23rd, 2013, 09:09 AM

So 68RocketAction I have to ask... What paint did you use for the wrinkle finish on your instrument panel? It's on the long list of winter restoration projects for my 68.
Old September 23rd, 2013, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by DocRocket68
So 68RocketAction I have to ask... What paint did you use for the wrinkle finish on your instrument panel? It's on the long list of winter restoration projects for my 68.
I picked up a can of Krylon Wrinkle Finish from the local Sherwin-Williams Auto Paint Supply Store. I was allot easier than I expected it to be.

This is the How to Guide I Used:

http://www.build-threads.com/general...texture-paint/

It takes a good two to three days for the finish to fully cure. Until then its extremely easy to nick or scratch the finish.

Here is how mine turned out:

Old September 23rd, 2013, 10:22 AM

Looks fantastic!
I'm restarting a frame off on my toro that I started 20 years ago. Un-boxing parts, making lists, finding NOS items I forgot I had. It'll be a slow process but I'm looking forward to it. I should probably start a post in "Major Builds".

Back to the original topic. I'm torn about adding a passenger side mirror to mine for the same reasons you stated.

Thanks,
Old September 23rd, 2013, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by DocRocket68
Looks fantastic!
I'm restarting a frame off on my toro that I started 20 years ago. Un-boxing parts, making lists, finding NOS items I forgot I had. It'll be a slow process but I'm looking forward to it. I should probably start a post in "Major Builds".

Back to the original topic. I'm torn about adding a passenger side mirror to mine for the same reasons you stated.

Thanks,
Honestly i wouldn't even bother putting a passenger side mirror if its not original. keep it old school :P
Old September 23rd, 2013, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by orange442
Matt, you should get hooked up with David above^^^^ since he is coming up tomorrow. You guys could carpool and save some $$$$!
Don't think i can make it. i work monday through friday and dont get off till 4:30 :/