Tech Editor's Desk Projects, papers, writings, thoughts, musings of our technical editor Joe Padavano. To begin with, he will be making threads and can approve posts to it if he wishes. This can be changed in the future if it does not work out well.

horn problem

Old November 10th, 2015, 03:25 PM

horn problem

I need some guidance. I have a 1966 Oldsmobile 442.My turn signal lever became loose. I decided to pull the steering wheel.which is the deluxe model.Everythihg went easy till i had it put back together the horn started blowing an would not shut off. Ive tried everything to get it to turn off finally iI dissconnected the wires at the horns. Does anyone have any ideas. Also ive noticed the horn relayis hot.Im sure some one can help me.

Thanks Tom
Old November 10th, 2015, 04:17 PM
Administrator

You assembled the part to the horn wrong. The horn is looking for a ground in the column, whats happening is its always engaged.
Old November 10th, 2015, 05:41 PM

yeah, if you solved the problem by taking the wires off the horns, then your horn relay is still ON and probably very hot by now. Unless you want a fire, you should take the activating wire off the RELAY to stop the horn.

Then fix what you done did in the steering column that led to this permanent grounding of the horn relay circuit.
Old November 11th, 2015, 02:27 AM

Thank You .At the risk of sounding stupid what could i have missassembled in the steering column? does it ground at the horn pads. Tom
Old November 11th, 2015, 04:35 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

There is a little spring loaded contact "bullet" that sits in a little hole and makes contact between the steering wheel and the contact ring in the column.

Something is wrong there.

- Eric